2 Player splitscreen?

fillergames

I know it sounds stupid. But it would definitely be useful for multiplayer games.

It would create a duplicate of the scene. I have no clue for actors though.

Max Finch

This isn't stupid it's a good idea. You could have a split screen by having to smaller screens put together to make one large one. This would come in handy for tablet players. I've also wondered about this.

gruffman

I can't think of any reason that stencyl couldnt build a splitscreen game :)
Now available for all Android Devices - Happy Face Concentration
My Games To Date
Find A Face / Hero Of Oda / Snakes And Ladders
Hungry Monkey available at fgl.com for Sponsorship
My site - Gruffgames.com

The8BitMan

The only tough bit is stopping actors crossing into the other players screen if the game scene is larger the players screen.
Need music, graphics, scripts? Just ask!

Photon

The only tough bit is stopping actors crossing into the other players screen if the game scene is larger the players screen.
Well see, that's really the big thing right there. Are the two screens separate scenes? Are the actors in each isolated in each? How do you take one actor and put it into the other "screen"? Its a bit trickier than it sounds.

You could simply try to program a game where its all one scene and you just have an "imaginary" boundary that separates the two screens. That still has its quirks, but its possible I suppose.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Alexin

(Photon's reply is pretty much the same, but since I had already written this down...)

You're thinking about in the wrong way.

The game model remains the same, but the engine has to keep track of both cameras. Each one sees potentially a different view than the other, and those are rendered to their half of the screen.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Hectate

Interestingly enough, the newest version of Flixel actually supports this. Unfortunately, 2.2 does not use that version of Flixel and 3.0+ has moved to Haxe.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Max Finch

Couldn't you have both screens as seperate scenes and keep track of things using global attributes?

The8BitMan

You couldn't show two screens in one go. If it was that simple I'd me doing a splitscreen game :D
Need music, graphics, scripts? Just ask!

Max Finch

You couldn't show two screens in one go. If it was that simple I'd me doing a splitscreen game :D

I know it's a suggestion for a way of doing this. For future 3.X development :P