Additional Actor/Layer Controls

Epic428

I started playing some Tyrant today on Kongregate. It seems like a cool game. One thing I noticed with it that I thought would be cool to do in SW, is the menu system is very seamless in the transition when clicking around.

In AS3, I would imagine that Tyrant uses a sprite that isn't the same size as the screen itself, but big enough to fit in it's ever changing section. The sprite is used as a container of sorts holding whatever information is specific to it's particular container, i.e the store, home page, missions, etc. The different sprites are then added and removed based off the options selected in the menu.

I was thinking that something similar could be accomplished with the use of layers. For example, I could place my menu screen on a single layer, the credits screen on another, etc.

Based off the buttons the user presses in a menu bar it would hide/show the different layers. In addition, I had thought that there could be some sort of functionality the enables/disables any and all behaviors, collisions, etc depending on whether the layer is hidden or not.

Something else that could work too, layer sizes, if possible. Making these types of "Containers" available to hold different actors and controlling their visibility as well as functionality could change the way some games are made.

I'm sure setting a fade timer of 0, when switching scenes, would make these transitions almost as seamless but I could see this being useful for other aspects of game creation as well.

In addition, similar approaches to the hiding/showing of an actors sprite should see similar features. I understand that hiding the sprite and not disabling collisions/behaviors would be good in many cases such as invisible platforms, secret passages, etc, which is why the options should be separate.

I think the above approaches could help improve performance values, in lieu of recycled actors in some cases. Sometimes, it would be easier to just hide and kill functionality for a single object, whereas, it would be better to recycle for multiple objects. It might also be easier to hide/show rather than switch or make a lot of scenes.

If anything, I think this could set us on a path towards eventually having a "Scene within a Scene."
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Hectate

Your post talks about ideas for how your suggestion can be used, ut it really isn't clear (to me at least) what you're asking for.
We can show/hide layers IIRC, or is there something else this?
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Epic428

Oh, my bad. I never saw those blocks under Scene->View Haha!

Well, perhaps then there should be blocks that disable/enable all collisions and behaviors for actors, and just collisions for layers, for when they are hidden.

Edit: Oh and perhaps blocks to check if the actor/layer is hidden.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:21:55 pm by Epic428 »
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs