1.5x Scaling acting strange, 2x scaling seems fine

DarkTimmy

Working on my game I noticed something off. It's being made at 480x320 resolution for mobiles and I test it at times at 2x scale in Flash on my desktop. I noticed when I set the output to 1.5x scale the whole game looks strange, the text is getting cut off a little on the front and back, the game actually jitters severely when I scroll about a level. Really weird stuff that goes completely away at 1x or 2x playing resolution and doesn't seem to happen at all on mobiles (at least that I can tell).

My question is, of course, does anyone know what might be causing this since I would like to publish a flash version of my game and 1.5x is a nice size. Barring that if there was a way to scale when I embed the game that's fine too. I tried a couple things on my Wordpress site to test it but no matter what the game seemed to want to display at 1x if I published at 1x. I set the flash window for 720x480 but all i got was black border on right and bottom.

So to be clear my two questions are:

1. Does anyone know why 1.5x scaling would go wacky where 1x and 2x don't?
2. If I publish a game at 1x can I change the output size when I embed it.

Assume I know nothing cause I am pretty new to a lot of this so perhaps the answer lies IN FRONT OF ME!!! HAHAHAHAHAH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thank you kindly for any help!

-Tim
Main Site: Donley Time Foundation Facebook Page: Donley Time Foundation
Newgrounds Links!

rob1221

1.5x images are not properly implemented yet as was discovered in this thread: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,22126.0.html

DarkTimmy

1.5x images are not properly implemented yet as was discovered in this thread: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,22126.0.html

Ahhh - very good to know. Rob are you the one working on that? My question would be is this something which will be implemented in the near future? I don't mean to sound obvious but when I hear the word "yet" I imagine a solution is close at hand.

If that is not the case do you think there is anything I can do to output the game at 1x as a flash file and then make the exported file scale on the website?

Thanks brother. That totally helped me out.

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

rob1221

No I'm not making changes to the engine, and I don't know when that will be fixed.  Mike is working on memory issues, and Jon is working on sound issues.  The modified Universal.hx in that thread may work outside of mobile, but I don't know.  I also don't know how to scale up a SWF, and it may give you the same problems anyway.

DarkTimmy

No I'm not making changes to the engine, and I don't know when that will be fixed.  Mike is working on memory issues, and Jon is working on sound issues.  The modified Universal.hx in that thread may work outside of mobile, but I don't know.  I also don't know how to scale up a SWF, and it may give you the same problems anyway.

Allright - good deal and thanks for the info. I'll check back as we go. It's not super pressing at the moment but will be more important a little later on for me.

Thank you!

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!

Jon

I've now enabled the 1.5x scaling, per Rob's edits to Universal.hx.

DarkTimmy

Hey Jon,

Just exported a 1.5x game with the latest version of the game (the 12th build). The actors and such seem fine but my tiles are skipping all over the place. More like a stutter actually. I have a small scene at 30x16 tiles with each tile at 32x32 pixels. When I move around in the scene (my game runs at 480x320 pixels) the tiles jump and jitter quite a bit. All else seems fine. The game also looks fine at 2x scaling (as it did before).

I didn't get a chance to try any of the intervening builds between the fix and this so I can't tell you if something changed recently. I only know it looks similar to what I was seeing prior to the fix.

I can whip up a demo if you like when I get a chance.

-Tim
Newgrounds Links!