Stencyl Book Files cannot be found in StencylForge [Stencyl 2.2 users only]

swu2k

Hi Innes and Jon,

I just bought your new book 'Learning Stencyl 3.x Game Dev: Beginner's Guide' (the iBook version). When I tried to search Stencyl Book Monkey character file in StencylForge - I got no matched result. There is only one Actor Type availble which is called Monkey by Jackv24 and certainly not the one used for the book.

I was very disappointed upon failing my very first and SIMPLEST journey reading the book and wondered how such a glitch can go along with such a great guidebook by experts like you. As a newcomer, I already feel the negative side of throwing my trust into a tech resource too quickly.

Two-thumbs down from me...

[EDIT by Innes: changed the subject title to reflect the relevance of this topic to Stencyl 2.2 users only]

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:35:20 pm by Innes »

Hectate

Stencyl 2.2 and 3.0 resources are not always compatible; particularly the behaviors. A decision was made to hide 3.0 resources from 2.2 users (and vice versa) to prevent errors that would occur from applying the wrong behaviors to a game. Imagine the frustration of following a guide that only produces errors.

I note that the book is titled "Learning Stencyl 3.x..." and 3.0 users would be able to see those resources. Presumably a public release of 3.0 will happen in the near future which will permit you use of those resources. Alternately, a subscription permits you access to the 3.0 beta immediately.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Hectate

I've posted in your other identical thread.

[EDIT: The two threads have now been merged by Innes]

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:26:04 pm by Innes »
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Justin

Innes made the decision not to upload the resources to 2.2 StencylForge as well, but rather to provide them in an alternate format, I believe. Perhaps they're available in the companion download to the book.

http://www.packtpub.com/support/11717

(In case that doesn't work, follow this link, click "Support", and then "Download now".)
http://www.packtpub.com/learning-stencyl-3x-game-development-beginners-guide/book
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

gruffman

I could be wrong but I don't think the book has anything to do with Jon.
Now available for all Android Devices - Happy Face Concentration
My Games To Date
Find A Face / Hero Of Oda / Snakes And Ladders
Hungry Monkey available at fgl.com for Sponsorship
My site - Gruffgames.com

swu2k

Thank you all for your quick responses, folks. First of all, sorry for bringing Jon into this and your right the book has nothing to do with him.

Secondly, in an early chapter of the book it says 'In order to follow the game dev tutorials in this book, only the FREE version of Stencyl is required ..." Now considering v3.0 is only available to paying subscribers as of today, so my take is that the book is only useful to that group of users. Maybe that group is substantially growing, but how could you publish a book intended for general users (also don't forget the subtite: BEGINNER' GUIDE) but only to target a special group. Also, not sure how many true BEGINNERS are willing to pay $79/yr just to get to learn some basics out of the book.

My comments don't tarnish the quality of the book, and no doubt it's the first one which provides in-depth hands-on guidance for using the whole system. But my suggestion is why not publish it until 3.0 is fully released to public and has a real FREE version to go along.

I downloaded the source files from the publisher's site as you (Justin) suggested, but all those .stencyl files cannot be opened in v2.2 and the character graph file is still not included.

Looks like I have to put the book aside until 3.0 is fully released.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:54:36 pm by swu2k »

rob1221

If you don't see the File > Import Game option, then you aren't using the most current version of 2.2; see here: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,3874.0.html

swu2k

I do see that option, and my version is 2.2.0(b502) the newest 2.x version available, but running anything but 3.0 prevents me from seeing certain resources they put in 3.0 StencylForge - that's my understanding.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:38:59 pm by swu2k »

rob1221

I was referring to your complaint about the .stencyl files and assumed you didn't have an updated version.  What happens when you try to import the .stencyl files?

Photics

But my suggestion is why not publish it until 3.0 is fully released to public and has a real FREE version to go along.

I've been waiting to publish my Stencyl book after 3.0 is launched...

waiting...  ???
waiting...  ::)
waiting...  :-\
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

Innes

Hi,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you very much for buying the book. I understand the problem that you are having with following the tutorials if you are using Stencyl 2.2. I'd also like to ensure that everyone understands that Stencyl LLC has no formal association with the book; the content and publishing dates are solely the responsibility of Packt Publishing who contracted me to write the book. Having said that, I also wish to acknowledge that Stencyl LLC generously provided extensive support to me whilst I was writing the book.

As you will be aware, the book was written for Stencyl 3.x (hence the title) and, due to the book being completed early I have, to a certain extent, been a 'victim of my own success'. This has been compounded by the delayed release of Stencyl 3.0 (I'm not complaining about the delay; just being factual).

Unfortunately, making the resources available in StencylForge 2 is not a simple matter of uploading them. Whilst some of the resources will work just fine, there are some differences that will cause problems. Such problems would require extensive technical support that I am unable to offer right now due to other commitments.

Having said that, I am committed to doing what I can to assist those who have purchased the book; you made an investment, and you'd like to benefit from it! Over the next 2-3 weeks I will endeavour to make some of the resources available to Stencyl 2 users. Starting next week, I will work through the book, exporting and testing the resources so they can be imported into Stencyl 2. I'll probably make the resources available for download (rather than uploading them to StencForge 2) so I can provide instructions and package them in a format that is easy to manage.

Hopefully, Stencyl 3.0 will be released soon so that all the tutorials can be followed by users of the free version of Stencyl.

A fair question is,"Why wasn't the publishing of the book delayed until Stencyl 3.0 was released?"... Ideally, the book would not have been published before the software was released. However, publishers are obliged to commit to a publishing date well in advance and the date is practically immovable. These 'rules' are pretty much dictated by the big online sellers (guess the name of the company I am thinking of), so once a date is decided, it is effectively set in stone.

Finally, I wish to thank you again for buying the book; I really am grateful, and I apologise for the inconvenience you are experiencing.

When I am at a desktop PC, I will move this thread to the dedicated Forum that has been set up to discuss topics relating to the Stencyl Book, and I will PM you so you know where to find it. I also promise to PM you as I make the resources available for Stencyl 2.2. If you (or any else) would like to PM me with their email address, I will also promise to email you with updates relating to the book. Please make the title of any messages 'Stencyl book 2.2 user' and include your email address.

I hope this message has answered your concerns. I know that those who have been using the book have found it to be very helpful, and the feedback has been overwhelming positive.

Best regards,
Innes

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:24:15 pm by Innes »
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

swu2k

Thank you so much, Innes, for your clarification on the issue I raised. i also feel thankful for your willingness to help out all v2.2 users like me who want to make the best use out of your book. Although I cannot get the resources from StencylForge using v2.2, I can still import all the book's source files (.stancyl files) that I downloaded from the publisher's website (thanks to rob1221's advice) into v2.2. The first couple of them work just fine.

I thank you again for your quick response and those thoughtful solutions you just laid out. The book is an invaluable asset to the whole Stencyl community.

Innes

Thank you so much, Innes, for your clarification on the issue I raised. i also feel thankful for your willingness to help out all v2.2 users like me who want to make the best use out of your book.

You're welcome.

I'll be creating a thread in this forum, so that users of Stencyl 2.2 can learn where to find the resources and discover any issues that they need to know about when following the tutorials.

Initially, the support for 2.2 will consist of access to the assets that are easily transferable from 3.0 to 2.2 (which is most of the early assets). I'll then review the situation to determine popularity of the support for 2.2, and I'll also take into account the potential availability of version 3.0. I hope everyone will understand that I want to avoid spending too much time working on support for 2.2 when 3.0 may be only a short wait away!

Please bear with me; I'll start working on it next week, when I have some time available.

Thanks again for your patience.

Innes

Hi swu2k,

I just noticed your review on Amazon and I'm concerned about your comment, "certain graph files used in the book are missing".

Please can you let me know what you think is missing so I can resolve this as a matter of urgency? I am not aware that there are any missing assets, and no-one else has advised me of any problems, so I'd like to sort this out as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm also going to PM you, so feel free to reply by PM or via this thread.

swu2k

Hi Innes,

I removed my review of the book on Amazon, since all the .stencyl files are now accessible by importing into v2.2.

Thanks again.
Shaw