irock

are you ready

you think you can tell us what to do

you think you can tell us what to wear

you think that you're better

well you better get ready

bow to the masters

Justin

What can you look forward to in the next release of the dialog extension?

- Works with (and requires) Stencyl 3.2.
- Dependency on my Data Structures Extension. Better interface for dialog settings.
- Easier setup?
- Better upscaling for games with higher scales.

Things NOT to look forward to (but will happen anyway):
- Getting rid of [game dir]/dialog/ folder.
- Redoing all of your dialog settings.
- Maybe more things.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

ikomnen

I will wait for this latest version then,since i want to test something with it.
Btw when is the Stencyl 3.2. coming out,and what other improvements are in it on other stuff?
I was checking out the News but havent seen it there.
thanks

irock

Right now, Stencyl 3.2 is only available to customers. We'll still keep version 1.3 of the dialog extension up for those who have an earlier version of Stencyl.

Justin

Version 1.4
"Version 1.4"
Note: This release requires the very latest version of Stencyl 3.2 as of September 15, 2014 midnight Pacific Time.

What's New

- Support for 3.2.
- Completely reworked preferences interface.
- Not compatible with previous versions.

havana24

Congrats guys, great work! :)
My Website: www.havana24.net

Hi, are there any tutorials out there at all about how to use this extension? I'm more of a creative person so I have next to no clue as to what I'm doing, lol. All in all, it looks totally awesome and would hopefully become a main part of Stencyl itself in future :D

DarkTimmy

Hi, are there any tutorials out there at all about how to use this extension? I'm more of a creative person so I have next to no clue as to what I'm doing, lol. All in all, it looks totally awesome and would hopefully become a main part of Stencyl itself in future :D

I don't know about tutorials but I just dove in an plugged around with it. As I recall there are a lot of good example in there to get you started. I would consider myself like you a very "creative person" and this was a breeze to use. Not saying you won't have to try some things out but it was pretty logical as I recall (it's been a while).

Also - the devs are SUPER helpful!

Just my 2 cents!

-Tim
Main Site: Donley Time Foundation Facebook Page: Donley Time Foundation
Newgrounds Links!

I don't know about tutorials but I just dove in an plugged around with it. As I recall there are a lot of good example in there to get you started. I would consider myself like you a very "creative person" and this was a breeze to use. Not saying you won't have to try some things out but it was pretty logical as I recall (it's been a while).

Also - the devs are SUPER helpful!

Just my 2 cents!

-Tim

Thanks for the reply! The main problem I am having at the moment is finding the "extras" folder to display the faces for the dialog box. Where can I find it? o.e

Photon

Whoa! DarkTimmy! You came to mind earlier today, actually. Good to see you. :)
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Justin

Use the menu to open a file explorer to your game's folder. Inside that folder is the "dialog" folder you need.

And thanks for the kind words, DarkTimmy. :)

Use the menu to open a file explorer to your game's folder. Inside that folder is the "dialog" folder you need.

And thanks for the kind words, DarkTimmy. :)

Okay, well I opened the dialog folder and found the "images" folder inside (I assume this is where all face profiles go?) Thus, I pasted in the image I wanted (size is 123x123 pixels) but it's still not showing up in the dialog box when I run the game, and in fact I think the text gets "pushed" out of the box, just above and next to the namebox. Am I doing something wrong? I think it might help if I mention I'm using a Surface Pro 2 to do this stuff.

Justin

Have you had a chance to look through the sample game? That should make a few common things like displaying faces easier to figure out.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I just figured out what I did wrong and now I feel like the biggest idiot ever xD. I suddenly understood the whole "Face" prefix and so typed that before the image I wanted to put in the game. Then, boom it worked! Thanks a lot you guys for helping out!! Sorry for wasting your time with such a petty matter! xD xD

DarkTimmy

Hey guys!

To me this is one of the BEST extensions I have ever used. I made Cosmic Clicks in less than 2 weeks and it was mostly due to the fact I could crank out so much dialog in such a short time using this extension. The methods for triggering, entering and overall use are so simple once you do a little dinking around.

Fantastic plugin and I personally recommend a donation to the developer (I did).

-Tim
Main Site: Donley Time Foundation Facebook Page: Donley Time Foundation
Newgrounds Links!