"Extras" folder - further development

Jon

The "extras" folder is proving to be a fruitful hack that is powering the dialog extension, the skeleton animation extension and any sort of support for additional data.

Although working with Finder/Explorer is easy enough, we should provide some way to manage these files in-app. We don't necessarily have to tie this to the save system -- it can write out directly and permanently on use.

In addition, add an official "API" for editor-based extensions for loading and saving data, opening the door up for say, the Dialog Extension to be used directly within Stencyl as opposed to outside of it.

Although it's already possibly for extensions to write to that spot, we should try sandboxing to prevent the possibility of data munging.

Justin

Working on this now (though in the form of an extension. I can fold it in to the app if you want). It needs to be done to get rid of some of the needless complexity of the Dialog Extension.

From the original topic:
2) Stick the desired files directly into that folder. Subdirectories are not supported.
Is there any reason for this? Adding support for subdirectories is a one-line change for Stencyl itself. It will be a little bit more involved if you want subdirectories to be renamable in the nmml.

Another thing: currently everything in extras is placed into assets/data, even though that's already the target for a number of Stencyl resources (.xml files, .scn files). Do you want me to add another data folder specifically for extras? Of course it would require correction in any games that currently use the extras feature.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

Jon

I don't recall why subdirectories aren't supported, but it may have been something made difficult when we moved from NME (when the feature and post were first made) to OpenFL. If it really is a one-line fix, I don't mind it being done.

Justin

I've committed the change.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

Jon

Thanks. Feel free to edit my original post to reflect your change.