Forgotten Era [FGL Submitted + Update]

travisofarabia

This game has outstanding visuals and an awesome gameplay feature of picking up and moving objects. Consider working with the font, some signs are entirely illegible.

illuminist

This game has outstanding visuals and an awesome gameplay feature of picking up and moving objects. Consider working with the font, some signs are entirely illegible.

Thank you. I will work with font immediately.

By the way, is "some signs are entirely illegible" mean it should not be reference to other games at all?

thegenericbanana

Thank you. I will work with font immediately.

By the way, is "some signs are entirely illegible" mean it should not be reference to other games at all?
Illegible means that it is impossible to read. I played some of the game myself, and my feedback would be to change the doors (the game looks tremendous, but the doors look kinda weird, or at least the exit sign), change the jumping (it looks really unrealistic and weird) and well, moving objects can be frustrating at times because you have to jump with it but it just leaves your circle and falls if you don't move your mouse with it immediately, and it feels weird- not sure how you could fix that last issue. Other than those problems (and the signs being hard to read) though, the game looks great! Really good job.
Johnny Turbo's Surgery Frenzy

illuminist

Is it valid to update game after stencyl jam submission ended?

As I will get disqualified if I change the game before announcing result.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 01:30:42 am by illuminist »

spoogob

i found the font/writing ok in places to read but then parts I couldn't understand. (not sure about updating after the jam deadline though).

If there's anything i found fustrating, it was the boxes rotating, and hard to stack/move them around - probably made more so by the circle limit, altho i understand this is probably a game play thing to stop crates being thrown/moved anywhere and to add to the puzzle of each level.

I use a 'pick up and drop' crate element in my own new game which is almost finished, but it took me some deciding what to allow or not allow the player to do with them - although I did remove rotation so crates always sat flat to the floor , making easier stacking.

illuminist

I guess I will hold update until stencyl team made an official allowance on update game.

But I have planned what to be in next update :
  • Make dialog font more readable.
  • Crates will not affect by gravity while picking up, so that is no rotation. But if it collide with something it still will rotate.
  • Rearrange some actor layers to correct order.
  • Add preface story at level selection menu. As Monster Brain from FGL's suggestion.

at development progression, I found that adding ability to manipulate with physics objects can be greatly exploit to the game. Such as moving objects entirely around a scene, and most frustrate exploit is to allow player to ride upward on object being picked.

So, I add some rules on object manipulation.
  • Player will only pick up object in limited range.
  • If object being drag to far from valid range, it will drop.
  • Object mass will be reduced greatly according to force being pick by mouse. This prevent player from riding object upward. Also prevent object crash into other objects.
  • I made button can be manipulate in same fashion. But I found that it can be exploit to some level, so I removed this feature.

But still I found that player can jump and pick crate he stood on, and I have no idea on how to prevent this. Later I call this 'Crate jump trick' to make game more challenge.

As of thegenericbanana feedback on jumping. This called variable jump. So that player can determine jump height by amount of time pressing jump button. Using fixed jump height, apply impulse force in one go, is more realistic, but can make game harder to play, especially in puzzle platformer game.

Thank you for your valuable feedbacks. I will consider thoroughly so I can make a better game. :)

spoogob

With my game, to stop the player standing on a crate and being able to drag and move/push player somewhere (riding the crate), I have an alternate animation with no collision so when the player clicks on/drags a crate, it changes animation with no collision. (and so stops the player from crate riding)

Alexin

I think jumping feels weird because the character's vertical speed remains constant even at the pick of jump. Sometimes it even feels like an additional impulse is applied at 3/4 of the maximum height.
Those can be fixed while keeping the jump height variable.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

illuminist

I think jumping feels weird because the character's vertical speed remains constant even at the pick of jump. Sometimes it even feels like an additional impulse is applied at 3/4 of the maximum height.
Those can be fixed while keeping the jump height variable.

Wow! I've never realized this. Thank you for pointing me. This should bring a great improvement.  :D