Changes in editor are not reflected in game

Trent L

So I'm working on a game, but no changes I make are having an effect in game.  Behaviours are not changing, and neither are changes made in the map editor.  No errors show up in the log when I build it for flash, when I build it for Mac it doesn't build at all, but still no errors show up.  When I go into the games-generated file under my stencylworks folder and remove the old game that it is running, it gives me an error  "The file *myuser*/stencylworks/games-generated/Platformer/Export/flash/bin/Platformer.swf does not exist.".

Any ideas as to what's wrong?  I've tried restarting stencyl multiple times to no effect.

gamegirlxl

Maybe you could try exporting the .stencyl, renaming it, and reopening that file...

Trent L

It still gives the same error.  I also tried it with a sample game, which also gave the error.  So it's a stencyl problem.  I'll try reinstalling.

SanjayPatel

I've had this issue come up multiple times when there are duplicate custom events or blocks.  If you check under the "custom" category in the palette in design mode and see blocks that are under a heading that doesn't match up with another behavior, it might mean you've got the same issue I had.

I also found that this happened when looking under /User/<yourusername>/stencylworks/games/<gamename>/snippets I'd see .pngs for behaviors i had previously removed from my game.  Thats where the duplicates were coming from.  I can't say I recommend messing with those files, because I don't know what other dependencies there are for those old behaviors, but deleting them, exporting and reimporting my game made this issue go away.

Trent L

Huh, strange.  Mine works now that I deleted and reinstalled the Stencyl app.

dripple

When I go into the games-generated file under my stencylworks folder and remove the old game that it is running, it gives me an error "The file *myuser*/stencylworks/games-generated/Platformer/Export/flash/bin/Platformer.swf does not exist.".

Any ideas as to what's wrong?  I've tried restarting stencyl multiple times to no effect.
That's the problem. For some reason, the SWF wasn't generated properly. As you couldn't delete the game by hand, Stencyl couldn't also. So the game obviously wasn't generated as Stencyl could not overwrite that old file.
That's why it looked like that the game hasn't changed.

As gamegirlxl has mentioned, an import or a simple rename of the game would have created a new game-generated folder and such a new build of that game. But this is only a work around, not a solution to the initial problem. Next time, try to check the user permissions / repair them using DisktUtils, you can't harm anything else.
Sure, my games won't get better with all the new features of Stencyl.
But I do have more fun creating bad ones.

MayazCastle Keeper