Video Game Reviews

I'm going to be reviewing classic video games. And I need a few tips since I've never done it before. Any suggestions would be great!

Strasteo

What games will you be reviewing? I'm certainly interested, I like reading these kinds of things.

Hectate

I thought you said "classic"? Lol j/k.

I'm curious what other people would think of the original NES Bionic Commando. It was one of my favorite games growing up - one of the few NES games that I played enough to actually beat.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

irock

I notice that you never end questions with question marks. If you're doing written reviews, you might want to look into proper punctuation.

Tatertom

Pokemon Yellow was a great game, I remember it. Try reviewing those old Nintendo RPGs no one touches anymore, like SMRPG and Earthbound. You'd really like Earthbound if you found a english ROM and a decent SNES emulator.
Tatertom approves this message.

Chibicat

Pokemon Yellow was a great game, I remember it. Try reviewing those old Nintendo RPGs no one touches anymore, like SMRPG and Earthbound. You'd really like Earthbound if you found a english ROM and a decent SNES emulator.

Terranigma is a great game too but hardly anyone knows of it. Play one Pokemon game you pretty much know the rest of them, although the originals are the best.

Strasteo

Definitely do Earthbound, if you've played it. Fantastic game.

Hectate

You know, I just realized that you asked for tips on how to review games rather than just suggestions on what to review, right?

Here's a few thoughts

1. Classic, "old" games are familiar to most people, although perhaps not everyone. Rather than detailing everything about the game that most people know, just link to a nice article about the game/series (wikipedia is handy) so those that aren't familiar with it can read up but you've not wasted anyones time that already is.

2. Again, familiarity with the game means that you shouldn't review the game from today's standpoint. Instead, treat it like a book report on something of historical significance. For example, talk about how much influence a particular game had on it's genre down the road, or something else that was done unique for that particular game.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

mastertetris

Give the game an overall score so you can highlight the best games you have reviewed.

Personally, I prefered the second generation above the rest. Not too many pokémon, so you didn't have loads left at the end to catch. It also had two regions, which was enough.

UnknownNormals

Just a suggestion, but maybe you'd like to list review "requests" in a list sort on your top post. And, if you can, do a review of any of the Secret of Mana games. :3

Tatertom

Will these be in video or text format?
Tatertom approves this message.

Darkhog

I'd prefer video, but that's blackbishop's call.

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

irock

This thread is from April, and Blackbishop89 isn't active anymore. I'm going to go ahead and lock this.