Provide your own assets for single or all scales.

dripple

At the moment, Stencyl accepts a single file / assets and creates its own scales. That's convenient, but it's a compromise.

With some discussions in the past and now trying to do a mobile game, I come across with the following Idea:
Keep the current behavior by default, but allow the developer to overwrite single (or all assets) with it's own prepared versions.

This is very handy when it comes to more detailed images in higher resolutions but with different detail levels on smaller resolutions. Think of borders / outlines, textures and such. Even having a complete different character designed for smaller devices would be possible.

There could be different solutions to achieve this:
  • Use a multi uploader in every asset dialog (Actors, Tiles, Fonts... that would be the perfect solution)
  • Have a property setting in every asset, i.e. "generate / update scale: [_] 1x [√] 1.5x [√] 2x [_] 4x" and create only the missing assets if they are not provided by the developer.
  • Check on export if one of the images was updated externally and use this version (might not work properly?)
Sure, my games won't get better with all the new features of Stencyl.
But I do have more fun creating bad ones.

MayazCastle Keeper