Movement: hitting target and bouncing in OPPOSITE direction? SOLVED!

infinitum3d

I'm using the ATAN2 function to set an actor in motion from the center of the left side of the scene (x=0, y=240) toward a target actor by mouse click.  So far, so good.  When the actor gets to the target, I want it to reverse direction and return to (0,240) but "bounce" behavior ricochets off like a billiard ball at an angle.

I tried saying 'on collision' direction=direction + 180 degrees but didn't work.  I tried direction=negate (direction) but didn't work.

Any suggestions?  Do I have to recalculate ATAN2 using the collision coordinates or is there a simple solution?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:00:08 pm by infinitum3d »

Tuo

The simplest way is to "set x-speed to [negate [x-speed]]"

If you prefer to do the trig though, remember that a left/right bounce means that you can take 360 - angle to get the bounce (and vertical is 180 - angle).
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

infinitum3d

Hmmm... That didn't work for me.

I was able to use the trig function atan2(y2-y1 x2-x1) by reversing my factors to compensate for the new starting/ending coordinates.