[DM] Block to detect collision at a certain point

Chris

I had an issue described here. While I got a answer on how to solve my problem, I do feel there should be a block in order to check for this.

Epic428

Just out of curiosity, why couldn't you put in the "When this collides" wrapper a statement saying "If [x of collison] = value and [y of collision] = value then..."

There are blocks that will output the x and y of the collision.

Basically the block that you want created would do this exact same thing, no?
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Chris

I didn't think of that. Thanks, that will work fine.

Alexin

No. The coordinates returned upon a collision are contact points - where shapes collide with each other.

What Chris wants is to detect shapes at an arbitrary point. There's a call available in Code Mode that does just that using Ray Casting. It can be simulated by using a very tiny sensor shape to detect collisions.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Chris

Yikes, I misunderstood. Yeah, I want to detect objects at a certain point. The sensor would work, but having a block for this sort of thing would be great.

Alexin

The workaround, for now, is for me (or someone else) to make a CM behavior. You tell it to pick shapes at some point and then retrieve a list of the shapes found (empty list if none was found).

If it works for you I can make it.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Alexin

A sample game is attached with two simple behaviors. Actor Picker is a Scene behavior and is the one that does the real job. Actor Picker Test shows you how to use Actor Picker; take a look at it. Toggle the console and click around the screen to get feedback.

Let me know if you need help.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Epic428

No. The coordinates returned upon a collision are contact points - where shapes collide with each other.

What Chris wants is to detect shapes at an arbitrary point. There's a call available in Code Mode that does just that using Ray Casting. It can be simulated by using a very tiny sensor shape to detect collisions.

Yeah, after posting I started to question, and read his post again, I realize now that this was what he was looking for, in which case you are right, my solution would not have worked.
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Chris

It works great, thanks. So, to see if there's an actor right beneath another actor, I'd do y of object + y of camera + 1, right?

Also, judging from the name "Actor Picker," it doesn't retrieve tiles on that spot, right? Would there be a way to?

Greg

Unfortunately the call being used doesn't include tiles.  It would be nice if it did. 

Alexin

So, to see if there's an actor right beneath another actor, I'd do y of object + y of camera + 1, right?
No. Considering "object" is an actor, then its X and Y are already in scene space, there's no need to add the camera's location.
I did it in Actor Picker Test because I uses the X and Y of the mouse, which is in screen space.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Chris

Oh, so just "y of object + 1." Okay, thanks.

Joe

Alexin, I've been achieving similar functionality by spawning and deleting small regions. Is there an advantage to using Actors?

Greg

I don't believe Alexin's approach actually uses Actors -- it simply takes the coordinates of the mouse click and then calls into a Box2d function which determines if that coordinate is colliding with any fixtures (Actors in this case).  I'm not sure which way would be more efficient in the end, spawning a region (in essence an actor) or polling a particular area on the screen for any actors.

I think a big hole in both approaches is that there's currently no way to detect a tile -- and often when you're checking for a collision, tiles are a valid group.  I wonder if we can change, or add a method that would include tiles as well. 

Joe

I don't believe Alexin's approach actually uses Actors -- it simply takes the coordinates of the mouse click and then calls into a Box2d function which determines if that coordinate is colliding with any fixtures (Actors in this case).  I'm not sure which way would be more efficient in the end, spawning a region (in essence an actor) or polling a particular area on the screen for any actors.

I think a big hole in both approaches is that there's currently no way to detect a tile -- and often when you're checking for a collision, tiles are a valid group.  I wonder if we can change, or add a method that would include tiles as well.

Ah, I saw "sensor" and mistook it for a sensor Actor. The other big drawback I've found to using regions is that, if you create or move a region, the "for actors in region" block won't report the correct Actors until the next logic step, which can be a pain to work around.