What got you interested in game making?

Duckaiser

I liked playing games. I liked drawing characters for games. I liked drawing levels for games...

But I didn't really think much about it. Then RPG Maker came along and changed everything! I think a little later I first got Warcraft 2, and gee, I love the Map Editor! That was nice because most of the time, I got more playtime out of the maps than the time it took to make them! After working with game making programs for a while, that's really nice.

I kept getting more and more RPG Makers and it just made me want to make games more! But I wanted to do something else too, like action-platformers! Oh look, I found Stencyl!

Squiddicus

I played video games and then wanted to make video games.

~ Blob

This.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
"Cave Johnson: All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?'
 Cave Johnson: Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
 ~ Cave Johnson Portal 2 text dump

Rhys

The sims carnival, actually. I started playing the sims online like 2 weeks before it shut down and people were talking about the sims carnival (a simple game making tool) which then soon died out and the remainder of people on it moved to scratch. When using the sims carnival game creator i really took a liking to making games, which followed through to Scratch. Then I found out about Stencyl.

Luxon5

As a kid, I loved making my own version of the stuff I enjoyed. I made my own toy "play-sets" out of cardboard boxes, wrote my own comics, created my own board games, the list goes on.

Then I discovered you could make text adventure video games on computer using a simple editor. Making video games is the last thing that I still experiment with to this day. There's just so much to it, and the way a game interacts with the mind of the player is still something I don't fully understand. 

Xazo-Tak

I like game making because the perfect game (IYO) is one you have made, if you are a skilled programmer, since you would have made the game to fit your desire.

Unfortunately, I have yet to do what I want to make because though I pretty much mastered scratch, getting it to do what I want really is impossible, scratch can only do so much. So I found stencyl, tried signing up for the beta about a year ago, no response, checked a few times till recently, found it was out of beta, and then got frustrated because of the lack of the "Point towards" and "wait" blocks.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:50:43 pm by Xazo-Tak »

coleislazy

I like game making because the perfect game (IYO) is one you have made, if you are a skilled programmer, since you would have made the game to fit your desire.

Unfortunately, I have yet to do what I want to make because though I pretty much mastered scratch, getting it to do what I want really is impossible, scratch can only do so much. So I found stencyl, tried signing up for the beta about a year ago, no response, checked a few times till recently, found it was out of beta, and then got frustrated because of the lack of the "Point towards" and "wait" blocks.

Point toward is simple math (you can also find behaviors that do it on StencylForge), and "wait" is as easy as a "do after x seconds" block.

mykael

Started way back when with a Dragon32 - you wanted games for it, you had to write them yourself (or convert them from source listings for Vic20s, Beebs or Species).  More textual adventure games than arcade games.  Got into MUDs for a few years (LP and CthulhuMud), then into Neverwinter.  Looking for a good/free engine to create flash games at the mo...

Natamora

For me it started way back when I would watch my siblings make silly things in Qbasic... I always wanted to be able to make something with coding.  Having something like Stencyl making it user friendly and cheap?  This is like a dream come true.  I'm really excited to see what I can come up with.

blackoutnoob1

I've always been interested in game design. When was young i would stay up late and play the n64 all night long, i always wondered how n64 games worked. It was just fascinating to me. As i got older games became boring and i wanted to make my own games. And BAMM! now i interested in game design.

Blob

I've always been interested in game design. When was young i would stay up late and play the n64 all night long, i always wondered how n64 games worked. It was just fascinating to me. As i got older games became boring and i wanted to make my own games. And BAMM! now i interested in game design.
Why would you want to make games if they became boring to you? That's like a musician who doesn't like music.

~ Blob

blackoutnoob1

Sorry let me re phrase that. i
Why would you want to make games if they became boring to you? That's like a musician who doesn't like music.

~ Blob
sorry thats not what i mean . i guess i got bored of them because its hard to come by a very good game or something like that. i suck at explaining myself

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:38:21 am by blackoutnoob1 »