Is Box2D poorly implemented in Stencyl?

LIBERADO

Hello. I am spanish. Please, excuse my possible mistakes when writing in english.

The original game called Angry Birds running on any android device has scenes with more than 100 boxes that are colliding with each other, constantly, and the performance is smooth and super fast, with high fps.

However, in Stencyl, if I try to put only 50 boxes that are colliding with each other, even if I disable "Continuous Collisions", the performance is poor with a very low and critical fps, unacceptable and unplayable.

Box2D works much better and faster with a greater number of colliding boxes (actors) in Angry Birds that in Stencyl.

Why???
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

mat0pad

Try to mark the boxes as simple actors and see if that helps.

rob1221

The subject has come up before, and most likely the haxe port of box2D we're using isn't the most efficient.  It isn't something that's being worked on, and there's no time estimate for a fix (since the exact cause isn't known).

Alexin

(Rob replied in the meantime and mine will reinforce the point.)

Probably because they have a version tailored towards mobile devices. I'm sure they also optimized the engine for their games.
Your game may also be doing something inefficiently.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

LIBERADO

The subject has come up before, and most likely the haxe port of box2D we're using isn't the most efficient.  It isn't something that's being worked on, and there's no time estimate for a fix (since the exact cause isn't known).

:-[ Sad to read this. It sounds very frustrating.

It is disheartening to know that still can not be fixed something so important that severely limits the potential of Stencyl.

Thank you for your reply.

dareek

It may not be even box2D fault.
As far as I know, STARLING -http://gamua.com/starling/ (the engine Rovio originally created Angry Birds on for Flash) is not specially tailored towards mobile devices. It aims to be multiplatform, desktop as well as mobile, like Stencyl aims right now, but... In the manual it says, that Starling is "pure ActionScript 3 library for Adobe Flash. It recreates Flash's display list architecture on the GPU — providing a great performance even on mobile platforms, like iOS and Android."

Maybe I am wrong, but I guess that GPU plays a big part in the 50 more boxes Rovio could put and collide with in the scene.

Starling uses simplified BSD Licence, so I guess it would not be impossible for Stencyl's devs to use it, right? Just my $0.02.

LIBERADO

Starling uses simplified BSD Licence, so I guess it would not be impossible for Stencyl's devs to use it, right? Just my $0.02.
:) This sounds better.