Caverns of Io

merrak

Hi everyone,

I just completed a "ASCII text mode" arcade/shooter style game, Caverns of Io, which is now playable on the Stencyl arcade. I originally started it as a sort of "sandbox/testing-ground" for maze generation and enemy AI, but I started having fun with the idea and decided to make it into a full game.

The tile set was created from the Code Page 437 render on Wikipedia, colored to the CGA specifications. (Although I believe bjbest60 uploaded a similar tileset from Memento Mori)

Rukiri

The effect looks pretty cool!

Hectate

Making a note to check this out later... :)
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

merrak

Making a note to check this out later... :)

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Hectate

The idea of demaking a dual-stick shooter is pretty interesting in concept,  but playing it didn't capture my attention for too long. Granted, I've never been that deep into that particular genre so it may just not be my cup of tea. I felt the execution was solid, for what its worth.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

merrak

Thanks for the feedback ;)

I thought about making a second version with deeper gameplay, better graphics, and so on. It's not the sort of game I usually like to make, or play. The fun in making it was more on the programming side.. although it felt pretty good to actually complete a project   8). This is the second one I finished.