[SGST] Notes for initial use

Caligari

Just started using the the Dialog Extension, and noted a few things along the way:

* I was convinced it wasn't working for the longest time, because the initial default window definition was below the height of my window.

* Once I could see the window I wasn't able to advance the dialog at all, because the interface controls were not present and defined.

* I think it would pay to have some lines to address these in the Intro notes somewhere, notably that you should be aware that the default window assumes a 640x480 application size, and that you must define "v" and "action2" controls, or override those settings, in order for the dialogs to work.

* After that, I was thinking you might want to go to the extra trouble to support -ve coordinates for the windows, which would set values based on an amount back from the far side (so an x of -100 would be set to (width-100), and a y of -20 would be set to (height - 20)). A similar system could be used to set heights and widths, with -100 being equal to "100 less than the remaining distance", for example. I've found that it is asking for complications when UI elements, in particular, cannot be positioned relative to the screen edges rather than absolutely.

I should add that the extension is extremely useful, despite these niggles! Excellent work! Thanks!

Justin

Many thanks for the feedback. I like your suggestion about the negative coordinates relative to the far side. I'll definitely take this all into consideration if I ever have time to give the extension a big update.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

Justin

I've released an update to support Stencyl 3.2.

* I was convinced it wasn't working for the longest time, because the initial default window definition was below the height of my window.
Windows can now be position relatively  rather than absolutely, and this is done for the defaults in the Dialog Extension Sample.

* Once I could see the window I wasn't able to advance the dialog at all, because the interface controls were not present and defined.

* I think it would pay to have some lines to address these in the Intro notes somewhere, notably that you should be aware that the default window assumes a 640x480 application size, and that you must define "v" and "action2" controls, or override those settings, in order for the dialogs to work.
Hopefully the newer interface for editing dialog setting alleviates this.

* After that, I was thinking you might want to go to the extra trouble to support -ve coordinates for the windows, which would set values based on an amount back from the far side (so an x of -100 would be set to (width-100), and a y of -20 would be set to (height - 20)). A similar system could be used to set heights and widths, with -100 being equal to "100 less than the remaining distance", for example. I've found that it is asking for complications when UI elements, in particular, cannot be positioned relative to the screen edges rather than absolutely.
You can now position most things with a combination of relative and absolute coords that will be added together. So "100% - 20 "will give you 20 pixels from far side of screen.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)