Five Colors available on iOS AND now on Android!

out2lunch

This article has good tips, plus those email addresses:
The marketing team does its best to seek out the best content. They take emails at appstorepromotion@apple.com and appstoremarketing@apple.com. These teams want to know about a game, track its progress, and evangelize it within Apple.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/05/07/tricks-and-tips-for-how-to-get-your-game-featured-in-the-apples-app-store/
Clacky Train has been released worldwide on the App Store!
Voodoo Zombie's 1.4.1 update has more bosses and magic items on the App Store!
Here's the Launch Trailer on YouTube.

Max Finch

This article has good tips, plus those email addresses:
The marketing team does its best to seek out the best content. They take emails at appstorepromotion@apple.com and appstoremarketing@apple.com. These teams want to know about a game, track its progress, and evangelize it within Apple.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/05/07/tricks-and-tips-for-how-to-get-your-game-featured-in-the-apples-app-store/

Yeah that's exactly where I get the E-Mails from.

Innes

Hi,

I have downloaded and played the game. Perhaps it's my age (mid forties), but I am finding the game too difficult. I think my high score is 10. For me, this leads to fast, repetitive failure, which is not fun!

Can I suggest perhaps adding an additional mode, whereby the game does not end every time you fail.  I have two suggestions for gameplay options:

1) Fixed time game (e.g. 30 seconds / choice of time): the score is a percentage success rate.
2) Unlimited time: +1 point for success, -1 point for fail. Game ends when points go below zero.

This would provide longer game-play times and, certainly for me, I'd keep playing for longer.

Do you have any analytics embedded in the game? If you added the options I have suggested, it would be very interesting to see how it affects player engagement.

I can see that this game could be cloned with some interesting themes. Matching coloured fruit / monsters, etc.

Also, I'm on the Australian app store, and searching for 'Five Colors' brings your game up second after an app called 'Preschool EduKidsRoom-Free'.

I do really like the idea of Five Colors; love the design, and I'd like to play it more, but I'm getting frustrated too quickly. I understand that many people love very difficult games (or maybe I'm just very poor at playing games like this!), so I understand that it may not be worth adding additional game-play modes.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

letmethink

I would also like to point out that your app is basically unfindable for me on android, not even in the 100 top games when searching 'Five Colours'.
~Letmethink

Innes

I would also like to point out that your app is basically unfindable for me on android, not even in the 100 top games when searching 'Five Colours'.

Is this an issue with the UK English spelling of 'colours'? Have you tried the US spelling 'colors'?

letmethink

Is this an issue with the UK English spelling of 'colours'? Have you tried the US spelling 'colors'?

It's not in the top 100 for either. Maybe it's because I'm in the UK store, but I was able to download it from the direct link so I don't think that's the case.
~Letmethink

GeorgeN

Don't worry guys. Google play is not the same with app store.on google play it takes time to appear in searches.

ahmadoweda

Yes all the new games take time to appear in the search, instead you can use double quotations to find the exact game you want, like search for "Five Colors" and you'll find the game only in the search results

rob1221

When you search Five Colors in Google Play, it assumes you're looking for Five OR Colors rather than Five AND colors.  It also assumes downloads = relevance (so does Apple), so you are likely to find completely irrelevant games at the top of the search list.

Max Finch

Yeah both versions aren't getting too many downloads so they're both down the charts. At one point my game was at the top of the list for Apple.

@Innes the game was kinda geared toward the difficult "let me try one more time" craze.

Photon

Gave it a download and shot. Here are my thoughts:

@Innes the game was kinda geared toward the difficult "let me try one more time" craze.
From my perspective, though the game clearly is trying for that arcadish-style gameplay, its missing that compelling hook that drives repeat plays. There's not a lot going on and the "adrenaline rush" isn't there. I'm not sure if you were going for more of a frenetic action or puzzle panic feeling, but neither sense appears to be adequately strong here. The music doesn't seem to sway me towards one or the other either.

That being said, it doesn't take long at all for the game's speed combined with the controls for it to become somewhat impractical. To have to complete two or three complete swipes in less than a second or so feels kinda out-of-control. I feel like it would be better off being tap-driven with button controls.

One more thing: the ads. If someone is trying to rapid-swipe mid-game and they lose, its not too hard for them to accidentally "swipe click" those ads that pop up immediately following a game-over. That's what happened to me with the very first ad.

Hope that helps. Its one of those nice simplistic concepts that I feel has potential, but its not quite there for me personally.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Max Finch

Thanks for your feedback man :)

I agree tha the pop up ads are more than annoying. I have no problem with banner ads in menus and game over screens but the pop ups make it look like you're trying to get people to accidentally click on them, which is frustrating even though I know you aren't.

Innes

No worries; there's a big audience for this type of game. Let's hope interest picks up; it can take a while.

Max Finch

I agree tha the pop up ads are more than annoying. I have no problem with banner ads in menus and game over screens but the pop ups make it look like you're trying to get people to accidentally click on them, which is frustrating even though I know you aren't.

I played with ad ideas, banner ads were just too gross and didn't workout well with the layout of the game. Plus Chartboost earns me more.

I will always play with different ad types in the future though.

No worries; there's a big audience for this type of game. Let's hope interest picks up; it can take a while.

I find that the younger audience likes the game while the older audience finds it more frustrating (My dad for example). But he still likes it. Can't make a game for everybody sadly :(

Last night I submitted one last push to review sites and Apple, if I get something great! but now I'm moving on to other projects, or at least trying to brainstorm something. Gotta learn from mistakes and apply my knowledge on new projects.