What Have You Been Playing Lately?

JensWinterstein

Super Mario Bros X ( info )
DC Stone Soup (Web based Multiplayer Dungeon Crawler -> info )
Dead Space
Get 100 Chambers for Android / iOS
Get Cubus Velox for Android / iOS or play it on Flash

- Portfolio

ICLHStudios

After nearly 3 years without playing any Zelda game (with the exception of a single playthrough of Spirit tracks when it came out), watching anyone else play Zelda, listening to Zelda music, looking at Zelda art, or even thinking about Zelda games, I have just started a playthrough of the entire series. I'm hoping to finish right when Skyward Sword comes out.

This will be awesome.
Go here to begin reading my fantasy webcomic, updated every Thursday: http://fav.me/d674ji2

Alexin

[...] I have just started a playthrough of the entire series. I'm hoping to finish right when Skyward Sword comes out.
Get a life.

Seriously, you should wait for Skyward Sword and play each game in the series' chronological order.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Greg

I just recently finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which was a pretty cool experience.  My next major time sink will be Skyrim in November, so I should probably be productive before then...

ICLHStudios

Get a life.
Good idea, then I can spend it playing Zelda games!

Seriously, you should wait for Skyward Sword and play each game in the series' chronological order.
I considered it, but even if there was any consensus about the timeline (which there isn't) I would still prefer playing in order they were made. I enjoy following the evolution of the gameplay elements over the series, and the timeline is too inconsistent and unimportant to the actual games to make me change my mind.
Go here to begin reading my fantasy webcomic, updated every Thursday: http://fav.me/d674ji2

darienmsu

Imma newbie! v:

Manuel

Currently replaying Arvoesine on Blue Mode, which is a mode that doesn't have health items. Got to the fourth level, I need to try harder!  :)
Game developers are the deities of the virtual realm.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

Squiddicus

I've started Final Fantasy VIII a while ago, and it could be going better.
I FINALLY  :) beat Knights of Cydonia on hard in Guitar Hero III. The messed up part is that I can beat several songs on expert.
Kirby Air Ride (Top Ride) is driving me freakin' nuts. >:(
Team Fortress 2... it's a little slow.
"Cave Johnson: All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?'
 Cave Johnson: Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
 ~ Cave Johnson Portal 2 text dump

Kapser

Starcraft2, then recently had my fun with minecraft. Not sure what's next. Mostly playing indie top down shooters to get inspiration for my upcoming game :P

And trying to force myself to play FF13 but it's so bad...

Hectate

Most of the time if I get to play a game it's the Lego Star Wars games with my daughter. I recently picked up Lego Batman and Indiana Jones too, so we'll see how they are. I have to say, Telltale Games did a really good job on the Lego games' design and implementation. There are minor enhancements to the second one, but overall the games get almost everything perfect. My only two gripes are the camera's reactions during coperative play (usually very smart but can be weird when playing with a 3-year-old who makes her own rules) and the occasional unskippable cutscene (twinkie denial condition!).
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Tatertom

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. Lots, and lots of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

Also Team Fortress 2.
Tatertom approves this message.

coleislazy

Most of the time if I get to play a game it's the Lego Star Wars games with my daughter. I recently picked up Lego Batman and Indiana Jones too, so we'll see how they are. I have to say, Telltale Games did a really good job on the Lego games' design and implementation. There are minor enhancements to the second one, but overall the games get almost everything perfect. My only two gripes are the camera's reactions during coperative play (usually very smart but can be weird when playing with a 3-year-old who makes her own rules) and the occasional unskippable cutscene (twinkie denial condition!).

Haha... That's awesome! I can't wait to play games with my daugheter, but she's just turning two. Although, yesterday she got to play Skyrim at my brother's house before I did. :( By play, I mean spin the camera and back off a cliff while watching the controller instead of the tv, but I was still proud!

SWATLLAMA

Is lego starwars good? I've kinda wanted to get some of the games for years, but I never have bothered to.

Do you and your daughter play on the computer or on a console?

Also, don't let her play too much. Otherwise, she'll blow out her wrists by the time she's 10.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Leitca

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. Lots, and lots of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

Also Team Fortress 2.

Man i loved Roller coaster tycoon, I used to make a succesful place then make a different save and trap all of the people in a little tiny area. I wish my disc still worked.

Well I've been playing MW3 with some friends but i've been kind of busy the past few days so i havent been able to play it too much. My brother also got skyrim so hes been playing that and i kind of want to play it.

Hectate

We play on a PS2. She doesn't hold the controls normal anyway, her hands are too small (did I say 3 years old? How time flies, she's actually 4 now) so she just sets it in her lap.

Yes, the games are very well designed. The controls are very responsive and smooth and the visuals are very easy on the eyes. There's a little incentives to exploring and solving puzzles, along with rewards for the usual collection activities. There's a decent amount of replay value in the levels as a result of character unlocks, and they really encourage it with the "free play" mode for levels. The second one (original trilogy) also has "gold bricks" that can be used to build portals that unlock new levels and mini-games as well. Player death is handled gracefully, you just respawn in a few seconds, with a few less studs (little Lego pieces, the collection item) that you might be able to grab back like Sonic trying to catch the rings that bounce away when he gets hurt.

I was really impressed with the gameplay variety also. In addition to the expected running and gunning (or swinging, if you're a Jedi with a lightsaber), there are levels where you get to control spaceships, walkers, speeders, pod-racers, etc.

The best part about the games though is how they handle cooperative multiplayer. Basically, a second player can just pick up the other controller and press start to jump right into the game at any time - even when in the level selection hub. One of the two players can just drop out at any time as well (handy if she is playing and I need to step away for a moment). All the levels have parts that require multiple characters to advance, so it really encourages the cooperative aspect of playing the levels. If you don't have a second player it's not a problem, the computer will take care of your teammates' AI. If there's a puzzle that requires simultaneous interaction by two characters, the computer will jump in and help you right away.

Also, if you're wondering just how they could make a game out of such well-known movies and it still be interesting, worry not. The games take mild liberties with the story - skipping or minimizing some parts, showing things that weren't explicitly shown the movies - which is a pleasant surprise for someone who grew up with the movies (me). And of course, everything is Lego-based so the violence is just Lego pieces bouncing away.

As I mentioned earlier, the only real issues I have with the game was that some of the cutscenes can't be skipped and the camera during multiplayer. The camera always keeps both players visible on the screen, but the player that is primary (typically player 1, but not always) gets precedence. As a result, if my daughter decides to run in the opposite direction that I am going, I get dragged along as the camera follows her running off the screen away from me. This can cause issues if you get caught around a corner or get pulled/pushed off of a ledge. I suspect that if I played with someone that played more like my play style, this wouldn't be an issue. But we play because she likes it, so I deal with the occasional frustrating camera moments.

Some of the puzzles are beyond my daughter's comprehension and some of the levels are just beyond her skill level. Usually when we come across something that she can't pass, I just have her drop out for a few minutes, since the computer AI will either get out or help out. She's not all that effective during battles (frequently killing me on accident, or trying to run away scared of dying), but all that is just because of her young age.

In all, I highly recommend them - even to adults. There is a lot to be learned from these games. Since she won't get the Lego Batman and Indiana Jones games until Christmas... I'll be impatient to see how they are also :)
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.