"As number" block used in "Global Custom Block" results in error

LingDong

Hi.
It appears that the "as number" block cannot be used in a global custom block. Why is that so?
Whenever I try to put the "as number" block in the definition of a global block, The game cannot be run until the whole event is deleted and Stencyl gives the following error:

Events for 'Player':  Unknown identifier : asNumber
   from scripts.ActorEvents_164
   line: 83
   columns: 19-27

To make sure that the "as number" block is indeed the source of the error, I reduced everything in the global block to:

print 2 as number

And the error remains. Any ideas why?
Thanks in advance.

yoplalala

You should also put your post in the bug thread, I think.

SadiQ

After that you can use the Custom blocks instead of a Global custom block to allow you to advance with the code.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

LingDong

After that you can use the Custom blocks instead of a Global custom block to allow you to advance with the code.

Thanks for your responses! It seems that I have to use custom blocks instead of global custom block. It would really be a pain, since multiple actors use the same global block.

Really hope stencyl get it fixed soon.

LingDong

Hi.
It appears that the "as number" block cannot be used in a global custom block. Why is that so?
Whenever I try to put the "as number" block in the definition of a global block, The game cannot be run until the whole event is deleted and Stencyl gives the following error:

Events for 'Player':  Unknown identifier : asNumber
   from scripts.ActorEvents_164
   line: 83
   columns: 19-27

To make sure that the "as number" block is indeed the source of the error, I reduced everything in the global block to:

print 2 as number

And the error remains. Any ideas why?
Thanks in advance.

yoplalala

Just saw that

http://community.stencyl.com/index.php?topic=32361.0

Global custom blocks are static functions that can't use any of the non-static functions (including most Stencyl blocks) in Script.hx.  That means global custom blocks are mostly useful for math calculations. 

maybe it has something to do with your problem

Justin

I'll see if I can refactor Script.hx and make more of it static.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

captaincomic

(I merged the question and the bug report thread.)

Justin

Refactoring complete. Starting in 3.3, almost all blocks will be usable from global custom blocks.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)