Any suggestions for a noob in game jams?

choppedupmonkey

hi guys,

just wondering if anybody hasw any suggestions for a newbie in game jams. Do the judges look for anything specific? certain themes? complexity?

thanks guys!
My name is Jason, I live in America, and I am 18 years old

"Focus more on the product than profit, for the profit will come after the product." -Me

SadiQ

I doubt they are looking at the technical aspect of a game. :P
 They are still players, so they probably just want to see a fun game :)
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

choppedupmonkey

I doubt they are looking at the technical aspect of a game. :P
 They are still players, so they probably just want to see a fun game :)

ok, that makes sense. I think I have a chance then :) btw do u have to do something special to join the idiotic league of stencylers?haha because I want to change my signature but I cant come up with anything creative.

"Focus more on the product than profit, for the profit will come after the product." -Me

SadiQ

Anything that doesn't involve images usually works for a signature. That way, people on slow internet connections (like me) don't waste a minute loading something useless.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

choppedupmonkey

Anything that doesn't involve images usually works for a signature. That way, people on slow internet connections (like me) don't waste a minute loading something useless.

ahh, so I should get rid of my turkey man?

SadiQ

Would you use that signature in an email that's intended to get some press coverage on a game of yours?

Justin

Yeah the big Kramer turkey is pretty annoying. I dislike signatures in general.

FYI - my own signature wasn't my doing. That's what you call abuse of power by a certain mod. ;)
At least it's smaller now than it used to be.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

SadiQ

I like signatures, but I feel that image signatures should belong in forums related to drawing/photo/photo manipulations. :)
And even worse, animated signatures actually distract the attention and really fill a forum with useless stuff.

MrD69

specific themes? platformers always seem to win the award.
Games: Arrow Mania, Breakout/Outbreak, Water Drop

MyChairHasALooIn

Stencyl is a great fit for building platformers, and the people who win the prizes are confident and competent stencyl users and usually good/great artists too, so their games come out looking professional, play well, and are often platformers.

MiscEtc

If you're a newbie game creator, my advice would be to use this game jam as a learning experience, and a motivator to finish a game. Don't worry too much about winning.