Copyright Discussion

Blobzone

Aren´t you guys all a bit strict about the whole issue? I mean we are talking about a simple
flash game. Not something he wants to sell as an big app or let it get sponsored. (as i understand it)

Actually i am working on a game myself atm where i use pictures of google images. I mean where else can
i find pictures of an police officer, garbage man or priest. I need real photos because of the style of the game, and since i couldnt draw all that.

I know, on my own risk, but how big is the chance that somebody is going to sue you? (Yeah, yeah, i guess there are actually hundreds of cases)

I mean i see so many flash-games using images than can definitely be found on google, and i doubt anybody cared that it got 200.000 on newgrounds or some other sites.

The only thing that i heard about was some Birdview Zombie Shooter game on kongregate with like 12 million views. But the guy used sounds and item names from some call of duty game (or something). The game was taken down after like 3 or 4 years, but i dont know if he was sued.

Edit: I mean look at 9gag. One should think that they get sued all the time. I mean they actually do way worse things. Taking Comics from Artists, putting their 9gag logo on the picture and sometimes even cutting the original url  or artists name from the picture.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:42:22 pm by Blobzone »

Natrium

Well, I think it's always better to use pictures that you have the right to use, on principle.

Actually i am working on a game myself atm where i use pictures of google images. I mean where else can
i find pictures of an police officer, garbage man or priest. I need real photos because of the style of the game, and since i couldnt draw all that.
You can find some free pictures easily (of course, there'll be less choice than on Google, but still).
I personally use Flickr and I check the "Only search within Creative Commons-licensed content" and "Find content to modify, adapt, or build upon" checkboxes (and the other one too, if the game I'm making will be sold commercially).

You just have to be sure what the CC licences implies, and that you understand it well. But then you should be legally safe

Blobzone

Yeah, i know, but i already have all the pictures i need and it took a hell of a search to find all that.
(For example also pictures of memes like Scumbag Steve, or Bad Guy Boss)

It would be hugely annoying if really something would happen whilst sites like 9gag (image aggregator sites) and not only them post hundred of pictures daily which are probably really copyrighted , like famous paintings etc etc etc and not get into any trouble.

Edit: Besides the fact that images from google are likely to be already spread around in the whole internet.

yoplalala

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenz_v._Universal_Music_Corp.

The problem is that usually some big corporations don't care if it's fair use or not, if it's legal or not. It must be the same with Google suspensions, never giving enough infomation so that you are not able to defend yourself, and not really bothering to listen to your arguments.

Saying this, looking at the pictures, I don't see copyright infringement from a moral point of view and don't see how the people  who own the picture could know about it. I am more shocked with all the flappy birds clone :)

rob1221

Aren´t you guys all a bit strict about the whole issue? I mean we are talking about a simple
flash game.
Plenty of simple flash games have been removed from websites, such as the Newgrounds games I mentioned earlier.  Even the Stencyl arcade was hit with a DMCA notice recently from Atari.

I know, on my own risk, but how big is the chance that somebody is going to sue you? (Yeah, yeah, i guess there are actually hundreds of cases)
The odds of a lawsuit are too low to be concerned about, but games being taken down by the websites/stores is common.  The risk depends on where you're publishing the games and what IP you may be infringing.  As for photos in games, it's probably very low risk as long as that doesn't include celebrities.

Blobzone

Yeah, actually i am not talking about using pictures from any games or artists. Thats another issue.
Mostly normal photos from persons, or cars and buildings (like a shool, or a university) and minimized to a preview size (125x125).

I even plan to participate with that game on the Newgrounds StencylJam. Well, if somebody complains and it gets taken down. Meh, bad luck, but i highly doubt that.

Hectate

Wikipedia Commons also has a vast array of images and other media available; the copyright terms there are generally required to be very permissive. You could check it out too.

I also used to contribute occasionally (practicing my texture-from-photo skills) to burningwell.org where all the photos are public domain.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Pyschographics

LOL. Wanna know what's to blame for all this. I only got the idea to use photos as graphics in a game from this article:

http://watchlist.kotaku.com/a-computer-program-made-a-game-by-itself-well-thats-1494080189

and some of those games:

http://www.gamesbyangelina.org/games/

A penny dropped and that is why I began a game using photographs directly but the plan was to blend them in with hand drawn graphics to an extent that it created a unique visual effect. The other thing of course is how many years have games been selling themselves as: "photographically realistic graphics...!" I just thought well why not have photographically real graphics....! :)

So two points: I wanted to blend those graphics to such an extent that they were not recognisable from the original. Which and I had checked this before, but since this discussion have rechecked as much as possible - I think can be justified as (paraphrasing) "significant modification enough, as to become a new piece of work."  At the moment not enough work has been done that this is the case - which is why I said it is still a work in progress, but I thought represented the concept of how this game was being put together.

If you can imagine my process was going to be about layering many images over each other, altering shapes and sizes to fit in with my tile grid, filling in blanks, adding shadow and light combining real images into the whole as you see it moving and animated and interacting with it. I was brimming with ideas and the only thing holding me back was my basic understanding of Stencyl.

I've been working on this project for 3 months, it's been my baby, I've lost sleep working on it because its the only time I get to do something I love.  Basically this wasn't some throw away quick project to make a quick buck.  I wanted to create something that made people look and just the joy of - well you know!? When you see just a small part of it come together...

Anyway, peace, respect, keep on trucking! :)

Pyschographics