"Basic Mode" and "Advanced Mode" in the View menu of Stencyl.

LIBERADO

A high number of blocks can cause confusion for new users.
A low number of blocks causes frustration for experienced users and limits the posibilities of Stencyl.

To solve this dilemma and satisfy all kinds of users, Stencyl could have these two menu options:

View > Basic Mode (with the essential blocks)
View > Advanced Mode (with dozens or hundreds of additional blocks for experienced users can use more advanced features and create more complex games)

This would also provide a gentle and pleasant learning curve and encourage learners to jump to the Advanced Mode when they reach a point where they want to do something that can not be done using the Basic Mode.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:19:58 am by LIBERADO »
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

SadiQ

You'd have to be really good at separating basic from advanced blocks for this to work, since they are all required at some point or another in the creation of a behavior, and .it's all relative to the type of game that people try to make.
The only "advanced" feature that I think is not needed for a beginner would be the Image API and the Tile API part.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

LIBERADO

@SadiQ yes, but I do not just mean the current blocks, but also the future new advanced blocks that could increase the power of Stencyl without overwhelming to new users.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:54:44 am by LIBERADO »

captaincomic

We have planned something like this for quite a while, and (I can't promising anything) but I think we'll implement it soon.

It would be good for new users and also for an eduction version.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:07:23 am by captaincomic »

LIBERADO

We have planned something like this for quite a while, and (I can't promising anything) but I think we'll implement it soon.
Wow! Glad to read this.