Omnitris

Omnitris is a game similar to Elemental Clash by Derek. The objective is to clear the board of all the blocks by using adjacent blocks to you're advantage so you clear as many as possible each click. If only one block is destroyed you gain 0 points. If two or more blocks are destroyed you gain 50 points for each block. Different blocks effect their surroundings differently i.g. red blocks destroy all adjacent green blocks when clicked as well as themselves. Here is a screen shot of the game as it shows up now. The blocks don't do anything though, but block randomization is done.

Derek

How did you do the the block randomization? I've been trying over and over to get that to work and it keeps on "not working" in my favor. ::)
Don't be a critic on the internet while eating and drinking at your computer.

Epic428

With a few minor changes that could be turned into a Scene behavior without the need to place dummy actors.

It requires a "Repeat x Times" block within another "Repeat x Times" block. Then based off where the first block was placed, you use the current loop count to multiply by the width/height of every block.

It should help increase performance a bit due to the lesser amount of actors.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 09:34:07 am by blackbishop89 »
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Epic428

Recycling actors only improve performance through constant destruction and creation because it doesn't fully remove the instance of the object from memory. It works by checking a list to see if any actors exist in the list, if they do it then takes one from the list, if they don't, then it creates a brand new actor.

Regardless of whether you are using Recycled actors or not, the fact that less actors exist on screen at one time will increase performance. Even though you may not see a change in FPS it does increase performance. It is either a small gain or a big gain depending on the type of game that you're creating, how many different actions are going on at the same time, and how many actors have collision bounds.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Darkhog

Placeholder actors approach has also this advantage over scene behaviors (although maybe not in this case) that you can vary random actors creation depending on which placeholder is used (e.g. to create game like Infinite Mario World with totally random levels and here randomness have to be intelligent e.g. not place Goomba in the sky).

But this is discussion for another thread so I'll shut up now.

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

Hectate

Pretty neat - although laggy at first as you noted. I like how the blocks have a little "jiggle" to them because of the physics. It might not be ideal for clicking on them while they bounce, but it's fun to watch.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Epic428

I think there should be abase score added for each block destroyed. At the end it kinda sucks, because the levels are randomized every time, which causes you to destroy about 10-15 blocks without any modifications to the score.

Pretty neat game. There are a lot of rules to remember though. Overall I think it could be fun with more polish and some variations to the game play. Time trials? Unlimited Mode? Could be possible additions to the game.

Epic428

That or every block is worth like 50 points.

I think that being able to click on a block to destroy the most amount possible should be a score modifier. It makes it worth trying to clear the board tactfully and strategically rather than just rapid clicking. But, I think that not seeing your score change because there are a few blocks left that don't kill anything else doesn't make the game look fun.

I think what it comes down to is: Try to find a medium in the scoring, ways to create amazing bonuses, or chain reactions. Try to find ways to possibly lower your score for doing something negative.

There are so many different types of "click the ..... to clear the board" games that you need to really make yours stand out. What does it offer that is totally different from other games I've played. The only thing different thus far between yours and Derek's game is that yours isn't "elemental" and the scoring or type of blocks removed isn't based on an outside factor, i.e. moon phase.

Epic428

Tweaking the scoring and the game play is also polishing, Like I mentioned earlier maybe additional game modes?