getting "ouch, this should not have happened" error

designpeg

I keep getting an " ouch, this should not have happened" error, logs attached.

Justin

Can you describe what you were doing when you got those errors? If possible, can you provide steps to reproduce any of your problems?
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

designpeg

Hi, I get the  error when opening a scene or actor, there doesn't seem to be any ill effect on my project - I can dismiss the error and continue with working. (I've got a backup in case anything causes problems down the line), but it's just annoying - not a show stopper.

designpeg

Still getting this problem, I'm worried that it's going to effect my game further down the line. I've put in almost 6 months work in to my current project and I'm concerned that Stencyl seems to be getting buggier, and maybe not something i can rely on to continue development.

My game has just stopped working - I can see the problem is that actor group selectors have all been reset to 'actor' not a chosen group, but I'm unable to select - clicking the block to choose does nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

@Justin - Seems like the error is in GenericObjectChooser based on the logs in the OP's other topic. Do you think this is fixable, or do you need more info?

Code: [Select]
java.lang.NullPointerException
at stencyl.sw.editors.snippet.designer.GenericObjectChooser$HudComboBoxUI.pickElement(GenericObjectChooser.java:967)
at stencyl.sw.editors.snippet.designer.GenericObjectChooser$HudComboBoxUI$1.actionPerformed(GenericObjectChooser.java:866)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireActionEvent(JComboBox.java:1240)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedItem(JComboBox.java:567)
at stencyl.sw.editors.snippet.designer.dropdown.VariableComboPopup$1.actionPerformed(VariableComboPopup.java:97)

designpeg

hi , more info would be useful if you can help.

ceosol

This happened to me a month ago. I think I fixed it by scrapping the specific version of the game and going to my backup copy. I lost a few days of work, but the error has not showed up again.

Hopefully you have a recent backup copy. Losing a couple of weeks would suck, but losing six months is a worse option.

designpeg

I make a daily back up, I've tried a few versions back and get the same problem.

Jon

If you privately send us a link to a ZIP of the project, we can see what we can do. (Use the Contact Us page)

designpeg

Hi, I've been away from my office for a few days, but will send zip asap. Thanks

(bank holiday in the UK!)

designpeg

Hi, taken another look at my game and reading a few other posts I think I've narrowed down the issue - at least with the game I thought was corrupted.

The issue with the 'ouch message" still comes up in all games, but the game not working at all problem seems to be related to me adding using the maps block.  When I turn off the save game block, everything is fine again. I'd read elsewhere in the forums that saving a map as a game attribute may cause issues, and I've noticed the same symptoms - I have a splash screen with various game attributes showing, and as per other posters, get random strings of text that get longer on each reload when viewed in the browser .

Jon

Yes, there was a regression with saving out maps as GA's that a dev introduced while fixing something else. We posted a workaround that remedies the issue. When the dev returns, that particular issue will be fixed in full.

designpeg

Great thanks,  I'll need maps to save when I launch, but I can work around it until then - not going to be launching for months yet.

Still getting the 'ouch issue though"

Mohaimen

Hey guys :)
Do i need a mac to make an android game I created originally for flash with stencyl or can i do it on windows as well?
Plz reply to this , Thanks in advance :)

captaincomic

Jon, or designpeg, could you send me that test game as well?