Is there a need to register developer name?

chongyunxiang

Hi,
My game is still in development, but I just tried signing up an account under Apple first.
I was signing up for the developer program under Apple and was asked if I'm publishing my game as an individual or company.

If it's an individual, then it'll be published under my account name, and if it's company, then I'll have to provide my company ID, registration number and details (or something like that).

If me and my friend are just indie developers, are we required to register a company or developer name? Because we wanna start a small indie development team.

And how do we check if the game we are making does not infringe copyright? It will really be a pain if we were to receive a lawsuit.

And last of all, if we need to register, which one will benefit indie developers more, Sole Proprietor or Private Limited?

Thanks!

chongyunxiang

Anyone can give some tips or advices?

Thanks! :)

rrzl

And how do we check if the game we are making does not infringe copyright?

Are all your assets your original creation?

And last of all, if we need to register, which one will benefit indie developers more, Sole Proprietor or Private Limited?

Its really up to you and your friend.
Personally, as a small developer, going either way don't really matter. Both have its own benefit.

I'm a Solo developer, I just use my old company (Sole Proprietor) that I already registered 11 years ago
(I used to do a lot of freelancing work back then).
I also used it when I work with a team of few other people, few years back,
even though we split the shares evenly between us (everyone have an equal say on the projects too).
For me its easier to maintain the business side of it. I can single handedly do all the paper works, Tax, budgeting, altering the direction of the company...etc, while also being the Project Lead. The others can just concentrate fully on the projects.

Also its easier to avoid conflict. When there are more than one partners/shareholders/founders under a Private Limited, it can get quite messy when the direction of the company don't go in sync anymore with any of them.
Less headache.

I think you'll get more discussion if you post it in Chit-Chat, rather than here, or reddit (r/Gamedev).
People mostly post Stencyl's related Questions in Ask a Question.

Donni11

Before even starting with the Apple registration you should buy a Studio account. So in other words first finish the game and buy a studio account and then start asking questions about Apple registration :) . But by the way , I'm pretty sure if you're doing it with another person you are required to register a company or developer name.
Peace

chongyunxiang

All our assets are original, and we already are going to buy the Studio account as the game is near completion. I'm leading the project and right now the graphic designer is creating more game assets. So basically I don't want to wait until the graphics are all out before I move onto the next phase. Trying to get some things done simultaneously! :)

Only afraid that we'll get a lawsuit, because I'm sure you know, these days, anyone can basically sue you for almost anything. So we just wanna try and minimise the chances. You may never know what might hit you!

But thanks! I'll go post it in the Chit Chat forum!

SquarePug

If you are worried about lawsuits it is much better to be a company rather then an individual. As an individual all your assets can be taken away in financial difficulties, whereas if it is a company it is a separate legal identity. That is how it works in the UK anyway.
Twitter: @satchapps.