app scaling

behdad

Hi.I saw the indie station app scaling video and it was helpful.But i have a question.as you know the old iPhone ones(3g/3gs) and low end android devices(with 480*320 resolution) are out dated.and today the base resolution is 800*480 for even lowest android devices.so why not to choose base resolution screen size 800*480 in stencyl?and draw and import our assets in quadruple size(1920*3200)?Or i'm wrong and it is better to set base resolution in 480*320 as before?Someone please tell me to what is the best scene size to support all kind of devices in stencyl?(from low end devices to full hd tablets).
480*320 or 800*480?i really got confused!!!!! :o

stefan

Are there already devices out with a resolution of 1920*3200? Because if not, there would not really be a reason to go with that base size. This will then only increase the file sizes of your games.

rrzl

@TheIndieStation :
If you are using a larger base size,
you don't have to actually use (select) all the scale you know. Its not a must, and not mandatory.
You can always just use up to 2x scale max, and uncheck those 3x and 4x. I'm pretty sure that'll give you a smaller size.

@behdad :
What you set for the base size doesn't matter at all. 480*320 is just a suggestion. 
That suggestion was made quite some time ago.
What matters most, is : What resolution you want to support?
If you still want to support all the users that still using the old devices, go ahead, start with 480*320 base size.
Otherwise just start with 800*480.

It also depends on what type of game are you creating? Whats your business model?
Is it a Premium game? Freemium with ads? Free2play with in app purchases?
If its free with ads,
I suggest go with 480*320 to cover all bases. There are still a lot of people still buying the low end models.
If its Premium game / F2P with iAP,
I suggest go with with higher resolution as the base. Most people who owns or still using a low end model with those small resolution, might not even be interested in spending any money anyway. Of course there will still be a minority in those group that will actually spend some money, but still, its too small of a crowd.

Just my 2 cents.

As a side note :
2560*1440 has become pretty much the standard resolution on new devices that are released this year.
Sony has just released their Xperia Z5 Premium Smart Phone few months ago, that has a 4K screen (3840*2160).
I'm pretty sure the others wont just sit back and relax about it. Next year, it might just be the race for 4K screens.

behdad

@TheIndieStation :
If you are using a larger base size,
you don't have to actually use (select) all the scale you know. Its not a must, and not mandatory.
You can always just use up to 2x scale max, and uncheck those 3x and 4x. I'm pretty sure that'll give you a smaller size.

@behdad :
What you set for the base size doesn't matter at all. 480*320 is just a suggestion. 
That suggestion was made quite some time ago.
What matters most, is : What resolution you want to support?
If you still want to support all the users that still using the old devices, go ahead, start with 480*320 base size.
Otherwise just start with 800*480.

It also depends on what type of game are you creating? Whats your business model?
Is it a Premium game? Freemium with ads? Free2play with in app purchases?
If its free with ads,
I suggest go with 480*320 to cover all bases. There are still a lot of people still buying the low end models.
If its Premium game / F2P with iAP,
I suggest go with with higher resolution as the base. Most people who owns or still using a low end model with those small resolution, might not even be interested in spending any money anyway. Of course there will still be a minority in those group that will actually spend some money, but still, its too small of a crowd.

Just my 2 cents.

As a side note :
2560*1440 has become pretty much the standard resolution on new devices that are released this year.
Sony has just released their Xperia Z5 Premium Smart Phone few months ago, that has a 4K screen (3840*2160).
I'm pretty sure the others wont just sit back and relax about it. Next year, it might just be the race for 4K screens.

thank you so much!As i said the phones with 480*320 pixel are out dated and are the really cheap ones.On the other hand my game is free but with ads and in app purchase Like ketchapp games.and my game is flat design like dumb ways 2 die.So OK i think 800*480 is better scene size in stencyl even for my game.but i will import assets in 3x scale?that's ok?=D

rob1221

You can support whatever devices you want on Google Play, but to stop users on old devices from downloading your game you need to exclude all those devices manually.

rrzl

@behdad
You can import from whatever scale you want.
Later when you're done, you can always just uncheck the scale you don't need.

@rob1221
Alternatively, you can just set a higher minimum Api Level (Android version) to support.
Much faster than manually excluding all the devices one by one.

rob1221

He wants to restrict resolution though.  Some larger devices have older versions and some smaller devices have newer versions.  The cheap 480x320 phone I recently bought has Android 4.4.

There does seem to be another option though, which would require modifying the Android manifest template: http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens-distribution.html

rrzl

Oh yes, right, theres that alternative too. Even better.
Completely forgot about that.