Apply effects to an entire scene?

Waltoid

In a game I'm working on, I want to set a random blur and brightness for every frame, to give the illusion of a dream world(or bad camera). Is there a way to do that, besides applying it to every actor?

I sort of want this effect, maybe you could make the camera a bit more advanced, supporting rotation and effects. just a thought.

Hectate

If you're comfortable with code mode, you could pull the screen buffer and apply effects to it. I'm not sure if Flash has appropriate ones built into it, but it's worth checking on.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Waltoid

If you're comfortable with code mode, you could pull the screen buffer and apply effects to it. I'm not sure if Flash has appropriate ones built into it, but it's worth checking on.
Ok. I can learn the code. :P
Also, I know that flash has the right effects, it's blur, discoloration, and brightness. Maybe some random movement to the camera. If only there were zoom... :P

coleislazy

Greg included zoom functionality in his cutscene pack, I think. Should be on StencylForge, but I forget the exact name.

mkross1983

When you create a behavior you can have it be for a scene and then attach it to the scene instead of every actor over and over again.

Waltoid

When you create a behavior you can have it be for a scene and then attach it to the scene instead of every actor over and over again.
But the effects panel only applies to actors.
BTW, how do you apply effects to a variable, such as the flxstate screen?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:31:45 pm by Waltoid »

1MrPaul1

Just make behavior for camera, that will smooth but fast change it direction, and all objects on screen will looks little blured.

Waltoid

Just make behavior for camera, that will smooth but fast change it direction, and all objects on screen will looks little blured.
I don't want the camera to move, at least not constantly. I want it to sort of look in and out of focus. Plus, I also want some color changes.

1MrPaul1

If you will make everything right, camera can move a little but make interesting effect. And than you can fill whole scene with any color and transparence level, and even can add for this color different  blend modes, as screen or overlay invert and other modes, and if play with it you can make that you want. But only one problem... it will eat up to 10 fps...

ShivaFang

For brightness, you could have a layer covered all in black and use the 'fade layer # to #% over % seconds' in scene->view.

blur should be able to be done with a 'shake screen' with a high intensity
Justin "ShivaFang" White
Aquamentos Games - The origin of challenging Strategy and Role-Playing Flash gaming!
Visit our Developer Blog and Google+ Page!

coleislazy

You could try applying an AS3 BlurFilter to FlxG.buffer (the entire rendered screen).

captaincomic

If you don't want to do it yourself, I did the BlurFilter thing, you can find it on StencylForge in Eye Candy Pack (or Eye Candy Pack Showcase), the behavior is called Screen Blur.

EDIT: but note that if you apply it every frame your FPS might drop quite a bit

ShivaFang

Semi-related so i'll ask here.  What about monochrome (b&w and/or sepia) type filter, and ideas?  (Something I'll eventually want for a 'flashback' type effect in one of my projects - I could make a separate set of art for it, I suppose, but that's a lot of duplicated work...)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:56:26 pm by ShivaFang »
Justin "ShivaFang" White
Aquamentos Games - The origin of challenging Strategy and Role-Playing Flash gaming!
Visit our Developer Blog and Google+ Page!

captaincomic

You could use flash.filter.ColorMatrixFilter to change the saturation and hue. For a whole screen effect, apply it to FlxG.buffer (just like the BlurFilter).