Biotech Valley

gurigraphics

Animation requires only patience.
But I not have so much patience to this.  :-\

Awesomepants

:) I can't wait to see the finished product! What platforms are you going to publish your game on?

gurigraphics

I can't wait to see the finished product! What platforms are you going to publish your game on?
All that I can. First a demo version in Newgrounds. After Facebook and so on.

LadyLala

If you need a beta tester, let me know! I will play this game for sure.

Awesomepants

I can't wait to see the finished product! What platforms are you going to publish your game on?
All that I can. First a demo version in Newgrounds. After Facebook and so on.

Cool! I'm working on a flash game as well. :)

gurigraphics

Cool! I'm working on a flash game as well.

That's it.  ;)

If you need a beta tester, let me know! I will play this game for sure.

Nice. I will certainly need this.

A question:

The guys in games usually prefer get power: explode and destroy all, solve complex challenges, get powerful itens, compete more and that sort of thing.

The girls in games usually prefer get control: customize the character, can wear different clothes, get rare items, socialize more and that sort of thing.

In your opinion, what there and what's not there in games that girls like more?

LadyLala

A question:

The guys in games usually prefer get power: explode and destroy all, solve complex challenges, get powerful itens, compete more and that sort of thing.

The girls in games usually prefer get control: customize the character, can wear different clothes, get rare items, socialize more and that sort of thing.

In your opinion, what there and what's not there in games that girls like more?

My favorite parts about games (in order of how much it's important to me) - Note that I'm probably a pretty typical girl gamer - but these are my own opinions and preferences, so take that into consideration!

1. Leveling Up and Controls - there's something awesome about the feeling of reaching the next level. If a game doesn't have a great leveling system, I tend to quit it early on. It's got to be easy at the beginning (instant gratification) and get harder as you go (more challenging to keep it interesting). The controls have to be simple enough to learn fast and not feel awkward to play. If a game has nothing good except these two things, I still might continue to play it because it's still fun.

2. Customizing Character - You got me here. I love to make my character look like me. Or alternatively, I like to have blue hair. Go figure. Having more options (I know, it's crazy how many art files you need...) is better than having no option at all. If you're going to offer customization, do it right... give a lot of choices. Otherwise it feels disappointing.

3. Puzzles - I love, love, love environmental puzzlers like the old school Myst PC game (one of my all-time favs). I like mental puzzles like the Survive game (for android phones) I also love physics puzzles and spacial puzzles: Smash Hit, Cut the Rope, Alto's Adventure,  Osmosis, Angry Birds. I like all kinds of puzzle games though: I play chess and poker, I like 2048, Sudoku, Crosswords, Words with Friends...

4. Social - I admit I love the social aspect to games. I like a game that has an unobtrusive chat that I can hide out of the way if I want to, but if I just feel like chatting with my in game buddies, I can open it up and be goofy with them for a break in the action.

4. RPG Character Roles - When I play RPGs, I usually play healers or support roles, preferring not to hack and slash as much as spellcast and assist my team through the game. Integrating other types of character roles besides the hack-n-slash would appeal to more girls. My favorite RPG of all time was Everquest, but I play a lot of RPGs, they're my favorite type of game. Some other ones I've played and liked for different reasons: WoW, Maplestory, Order and Chaos. I've played D&D style card games, to me they are not as fun because they lack any control to the action and immersive gameplay.

5. Action/Timing in Platformers - I started out playing games as an adolescent with Super Mario Bros 3 (on Super Nintendo) back in the early 90s. I wouldn't stop playing until I beat the game.  I love these types of skill/reflex/timing games and always will, and play many variations on this genre all the time. My second game was the Lion King game for Super Nintendo when I was young - again, a 2D platformer, but with some nice challenges and great artwork. In platformer games, I don't mind that the character is a boy so long as the storyline and action follows that. If the story is good and it makes sense that I play the character in the story, then playing a male toon isn't weird. It's when there's no plot and I'm forced to play a boy for no reason that I get annoyed.

6. Story - In all games, if it's got an engaging story, it could be boring gameplay but I might still enjoy it. I think I'm weird in this aspect - but I really love to read books, so that's probably why I feel this way.

7. Artwork - Even though I'm an artist, I've played a lot of games that I love that look terrible. That being said, if the game art is nice, I want to play it longer. If it's awesome, I'm glued. I've played games that had a bad gameplay but nice art - ultimately I enjoy them somewhat, but not as much as games that have nice gameplay but bad art. The best, obviously, are ones that have great gameplay and at least decent artwork.

8. Adventure and Surprise - I love games that take me to a new place or time. Ones that offer a new reality. People play games for a lot of reasons - for me, I like to explore and find hidden maps, easter eggs, and unlocking special challenges that you can only do if you really explore and dig around.

9. Competition - I like to be on the top of the leaderboards. Having a social aspect to scoring is always appealing, I think regardless of gender.

I hope this helps you out, but if not, let me know - I'm happy to explain!

gurigraphics

Wow. Thanks for reply. I will try to summarize.

1. Leveling Up and Controls - there's something awesome about the feeling of reaching the next level. If a game doesn't have a great leveling system, I tend to quit it early on. It's got to be easy at the beginning (instant gratification) and get harder as you go (more challenging to keep it interesting). The controls have to be simple enough to learn fast and not feel awkward to play. If a game has nothing good except these two things, I still might continue to play it because it's still fun.

1- Need of clarity of objetives. Where this can take me?
2- Not be confused and complicated to do something. What do I get there?
3- Progression. I evolve? I have conquer something or keep in the same place?

2. Customizing Character - You got me here. I love to make my character look like me. Or alternatively, I like to have blue hair. Go figure. Having more options (I know, it's crazy how many art files you need...) is better than having no option at all. If you're going to offer customization, do it right... give a lot of choices. Otherwise it feels disappointing.

4- Customizing and Style -  People perceive and talk about the style that I have chosen? Otherwise there is no customization in this game.

3. Puzzles - I love, love, love environmental puzzlers like the old school Myst PC game (one of my all-time favs). I like mental puzzles like the Survive game (for android phones) I also love physics puzzles and spacial puzzles: Smash Hit, Cut the Rope, Alto's Adventure,  Osmosis, Angry Birds. I like all kinds of puzzle games though: I play chess and poker, I like 2048, Sudoku, Crosswords, Words with Friends...

5-Challenge and significant activity. What chaos I need to order? What problem needs to be solved? It is full of challenges?

4. Social - I admit I love the social aspect to games. I like a game that has an unobtrusive chat that I can hide out of the way if I want to, but if I just feel like chatting with my in game buddies, I can open it up and be goofy with them for a break in the action.

6- Live experiences - An adventure with friends you live the adventure at the present time. An adventure alone, only after you can share the experiences.

4. RPG Character Roles - When I play RPGs, I usually play healers or support roles, preferring not to hack and slash as much as spellcast and assist my team through the game. Integrating other types of character roles besides the hack-n-slash would appeal to more girls. My favorite RPG of all time was Everquest, but I play a lot of RPGs, they're my favorite type of game. Some other ones I've played and liked for different reasons: WoW, Maplestory, Order and Chaos. I've played D&D style card games, to me they are not as fun because they lack any control to the action and immersive gameplay.

7- Collaborative activities. Form clans. Help friends. Performing quests that require teams.

5. Action/Timing in Platformers - I started out playing games as an adolescent with Super Mario Bros 3 (on Super Nintendo) back in the early 90s. I wouldn't stop playing until I beat the game.  I love these types of skill/reflex/timing games and always will, and play many variations on this genre all the time. My second game was the Lion King game for Super Nintendo when I was young - again, a 2D platformer, but with some nice challenges and great artwork. In platformer games, I don't mind that the character is a boy so long as the storyline and action follows that. If the story is good and it makes sense that I play the character in the story, then playing a male toon isn't weird. It's when there's no plot and I'm forced to play a boy for no reason that I get annoyed.

8- Plot and level design -  Adventures with different chapters, episodes and actions.  Sense and Feeling of accomplishment by do something difficult.

6. Story - In all games, if it's got an engaging story, it could be boring gameplay but I might still enjoy it. I think I'm weird in this aspect - but I really love to read books, so that's probably why I feel this way.

9- Story and meaning -  Adventures with emotion, conflicts and twists.

7. Artwork - Even though I'm an artist, I've played a lot of games that I love that look terrible. That being said, if the game art is nice, I want to play it longer. If it's awesome, I'm glued. I've played games that had a bad gameplay but nice art - ultimately I enjoy them somewhat, but not as much as games that have nice gameplay but bad art. The best, obviously, are ones that have great gameplay and at least decent artwork.

10- Drapery - Content aesthetic valorize ​​the meaning of the narrative content.

8. Adventure and Surprise - I love games that take me to a new place or time. Ones that offer a new reality. People play games for a lot of reasons - for me, I like to explore and find hidden maps, easter eggs, and unlocking special challenges that you can only do if you really explore and dig around.

11- Routine break and curiosity. There are mysteries or is equal to real life?

9. Competition - I like to be on the top of the leaderboards. Having a social aspect to scoring is always appealing, I think regardless of gender.

12- Highlight and contrast - No one likes to be among the worst.

I hope this helps you out, but if not, let me know - I'm happy to explain!

Helped much. Thanks for the interview.  ;D

LadyLala

You have done a nice job summarizing my book!

I really like the special effect animation you just posted - especially the way the monster's eyes get big and his mouth opens. When will the effect take place?

gurigraphics

I really like the special effect animation you just posted - especially the way the monster's eyes get big and his mouth opens.
I was testing the animation techniques. Larger eyes are EXAGGERATION.
SQUASH AND STRETCH is the breathing. STAGING is the effects.
APPEAL is this character be somewhat charismatic and something of humor.
Here missed ANTICIPATION

When will the effect take place?

The effect occurs in battle cards. The battles are like Final Fantasy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5VRdwDEFSI

The card battles are like the phase-end boss.
But there will be only two monsters on the screen that you can replace

There is an attack effect and a damage effect in the cards.
And I need create variations of these effects. And also a "level design of these effects".
Because there are weaker and stronger effects. And the players must want to acquire this.

With the monsters is the same. There must be worse and better monster to have progression.
And the contrast in this all needs to be evident.

LadyLala

Aha, excellent - now knowing the context, I like it even more. Nice work!

gurigraphics

New effect

Now with anticipation.

Awesomepants

Um, still working on this? If it's published I would love to have a link!

gurigraphics

Um, still working on this? If it's published I would love to have a link!

Each time I have a different reason for give up the game.

Create a game simple I have no motivation.
Create a complex game I have no capacity.

Sometimes the graphics I do not like, other times the animations,
other times the engine is not suitable for the game, other times the programming is very difficult, etc.

This game I did not like the variations of the characters.

Developing a game alone requires act in more than 10 professions simultaneously.
And is recommended to focus on a single activity to complete such "10,000 hours of experience."
Without this, is increasingly difficult to create something relevant.

Paying $10-40 per hour for do something that the return of investment is not a certainty, it's tricky. Finding partnerships with above-average experience is also difficult. Using free or non-original materials is a slightly better option.

So I chose to focus on the only game I liked: Turnland.
Pixel art graphics, programming, game design and level design I have already reached a relevant level. Music I mix chiptune. The animations has to be improved. And marketing, I need to be less lazy and more organized.

Until the next incarnation we all got there. ^ ^