The Stencyl Scene Designer of Tomorrow - Ideas and Suggestion

Donni11

Note to Forum monitors :This topic was created in the Ask a Question section, and not in the issue tracker because the intention of the topic is to discuss and share ideas for the future of Stencyl scene designers rather then sharing a idea and asking for a status.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone,

I created this topic so we could discuss and suggest ideas for the Remake of Stencyl Scene designer. As commented in the issue tracker by one of Stencyl's Developers ( I have find the post to show you the source but for now you just have to believe me or wait for Justin to confirm this in this topic ), that Stencyl does indeed plan to enhance their scene designer with more features that should make it easier and faster to create clean-cut scenes. Based on issues from the issue tracker,  post from in the Stencyl community,  and emails from Stencyl LLC, Stencyl will not be working on the Scene designer this year. But rather working on the core of the engine by upgrading to Openfl 4, Haxe 3.3, and dropping Haxe Legacy so they could concentrate on a small codebase. This goal is estimated to be completed by the end of this year. Once this is done, they can concentrate more of their focus into fixing bugs, stabilizing the app, and adding requested features which are necessary for the application needs. So for now we have to wait till next year for feature requests, but now is a great time to get started brainstorming ideas. I've posted a few ideas of my own below. Which two of them are confirmed by Stencyl that it is already in Stencyl's plans. Feel free to post your idea below as well. I'll add them to the Communities Ideas post below. So here we go :

My Suggestions and Ideas:

Suggestion #1: Type text directly from the Scene Designer - Confirmed by Stencyl LLC  (In a email discussion I had with them)

Description : A feature which would allow users to choose fonts and type text directly from the scene like site editors. Please view this animated video below to have a better understanding of the features. Be sure to watch the whole video :

Suggestion #2: "Snap Lines" to help Align actors and tiles

Description : Like in site editors there are orange and purple lines that display across the scene when the snap tool is enabled. This helps align objects. In the Stencyl Scene designer we have a snap tool but we don't have snap lines when dragging tiles or actors. When I want to align actor and tile now I have to press a physical ruler against my monitor screen, get the coordinates, divide to make them proportional , and redo that step with other actors. It would be awesome to have " snap lines " because it would be a much more convenient way to align actors and tiles. Please view animated the video to have a better understanding of the feature request.

Suggestion #3:  Create Box Tool

Description: Using the Box Tool icon on the Scene designer sidebar, users can quickly create box shapes for their game by simply choosing a color ( Solid or Vertical Granite , selected color or RGB ) , a style ( pop out , pressed , or simply normal state) , and border ( style : thick , thin , shadow , or no border , Color of border : selected color or RGB , size of border ( with coordinates ). Then they drag out their box for the size they want it to be and the select it and move it around. Similar to the Terrain tool just with more options and customization.

Suggestion #4:  Don't allow mismatched scenes and tilesets to be used together. - Confirmed by Stencyl LLC  (In issue suggestion in the issue tracker )

Description: If a tileset size is 32x32, and a scene tileset size is 20x20, then don't allow that tileset and scene to be used together.

Well these are my suggestion, feel free to post your suggestions down below :) .
Peace

Donni11

[Reserved for Community ideas]
Peace

JeffreyDriver

A while ago I wrote this post of suggestions (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,48475.msg268622.html) before  the suggestion system was changed. I've picked out the suggestions referring to scene view:

7. Ability to quickly preview drawn elements in scene view.
8. Background gradient - fit to screen or scene
11. Copy and paste tiles in the scene editor.
12. Ability to create and save sub-tile sets from main tilesets so they can easily be replicated into the scene.
13. Adopt industry standard shortcuts (e.g zoom in/out, copy/paste etc.)
21. Mini-map on scene view
36. Need to be able to change Stencyl colour schemes. (If not, at least able to change background colour of tiles palette in scene view.)
40. Ability to hide/show actors from particular folders from the actor panel in scene view.
43. In scene view, need options to show rulers and markers showing the centre of the scene, 1/3, 1/4 etc.
45. Create paths in scene view (Give them unique IDs, and give waypoints IDs. Also let branches come off waypoints.)

Donni11

@JeffreyDriver, Yeah, I suggest number 7 in the issue tracker here , Justin said that this would be too difficult to implement correctly.
Peace

JeffreyDriver

@JeffreyDriver, Yeah, I suggest number 7 in the issue tracker here , Justin said that this would be too difficult to implement correctly.

Another suggestion I had, though it's not strictly for the scene designer, is to have a kind of mind-mapping mode where we can actually drag and drop scenes around to help with planning and organising, so we can actually see how all the scenes link together.

Not such a problem for smaller games, but if you were planning on something bigger, it would be very useful, particularly if we could attach notes, labels etc.

Rimrook

What about tile sizes per layer, like background layers could be smaller tiled, or even menu and GUI layers. Anything wrong with that?

Also that mind-mapping idea sounds a lot like the Metroidvania scene planner or whatever it's called. It's a simple plugin that lets you plan the space.

Donni11

@Rimrook, I don't think that extension is even online. According to this post you can receive the extension through the repository http://www.polydes.com/repo , however I recently tried that repository and there is no extension.
Peace