how do you create a turn system for turn based games.

poehyrulian

Hey y'all how would I create a turn system for an fft type game? Any advice would be appreciated

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:06:45 pm by poehyrulian »

colburt187

Its a pretty tricky question to ask, trying to describe the mechanics for Final Fantasy combat in a forum post is not an easy task.

Have you made any attempts so far to prototype this mechanic? its always easier to give advice if we can see a rough idea what your aiming for.

rob1221

FFT has a CT (charge time) bar, and when the bar fills to 100, the unit can move.  The speed stat increases the CT gained over time (when no units have 100 CT), and actions reduce CT.

poehyrulian

I have tried quite a few times but my efforts are futile as I have no idea what I'm doing haha. How about just the most basic turn system then. Like every player has a list number and they can't act until its their number

rob1221

Have a turn number that counts up by 1 after each turn ends, and a unit can act when its list number matches the turn number.  Loop back to 1 when the turn number reaches the number of units in the turn list.

If you're having problems making a turn system though, I don't think a tactical RPG is a good idea because pathfinding and AI are far more difficult.

poehyrulian

Hmm your probably right then since I'm fairly new to stencyl. I should hold off until I'm more experienced.