What happens if I upgrade?

Pyschographics

Hi,

I am currently running version 3.3.2 of Stencyl. I've been using Stencyl for about two years now and still very much low on the learning curve. That said I have 5 games that I have been working on. I've already upgraded once or twice and encountered some problems with my behaviours working after the fact. If I upgrade to 3.4.0 is it going to royally stitch up all my original work?

I only want to - because I decided to work my way through the crash courses again to see if I can get my games working better. I've been using youtube vids mostly and found this extremely helpful, but some of these vids seem to use 'old' methods of doing things. Not to mention how confused I am that some basic functions in a game - such as weapons handling - seems to be done in a variety of methods - I can understand how / why, but when you are dealing with different versions, different methods it creates a world of confusion for someone teaching themselves basic coding. Basically how much changes in the new version?

Thanks in advance

colburt187

I don't think you will notice any major changes when you update, its mainly small changes and things to do with the engine. I would expect your games to function as normal.

stefan

But ALWAYS nake a backup!

Donni11

@Pyschographics, it could be risk sometimes. Newer versions may have bugs that older versions don't.
Peace

irock

Right, so just make a copy of your games folder (in your workspace folder, which can be found from Debug > View > View Workspace Folder), upgrade and see if things work. They ought to since you're only upgrading two minor version numbers.

I only want to - because I decided to work my way through the crash courses again to see if I can get my games working better. I've been using youtube vids mostly and found this extremely helpful, but some of these vids seem to use 'old' methods of doing things. Not to mention how confused I am that some basic functions in a game - such as weapons handling - seems to be done in a variety of methods - I can understand how / why, but when you are dealing with different versions, different methods it creates a world of confusion for someone teaching themselves basic coding. Basically how much changes in the new version?
What videos are you watching that use "old" methods? Like, are they using old blocks, or are you watching stuff before the events system was introduced (always, when created, drawing, and collision all being on the same screen)? I don't think there are any big changes in that regard.

Also, try to absorb programming knowledge on a lower level than "how do I make a weapons system?". There are a variety of ways to accomplish any one thing, but what's important is every method can all be broken down into simple lines of code (or in this case, blocks) and fundamental programming concepts.

Pyschographics

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. In reverse order:

The main Youtube vids I have been watching have been done by SunriseKingdom. This guy is a massive help, really love his tutorials - and even though I'd downloaded things like the Weapons Manager from the Stencyl archive - I couldn't get it to work. The only way I managed to get it working was by following his tutorials and doing it step by step. I actually have a demo of a top down shooter that works as a game (apart from score board and some things I have in other games), built using his vids, graphics are a bit basic and I know there's a lot of work it still needs; but put it this way you can pick up and select and fire three weapons that all have different effects and can kill the enemy. So big kudos to that guy (SunriseKingdom), he taught me everything I know! :)

I can and do back up the games quite regularly, but is it possible to go back to an older version of Stencly if things don't work out?

Justin

But only if you back up your game first. Sometimes a game can't be opened in an old version after being updated to a new version's format.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

Pyschographics

Thank you for the link that is perfect! :)