Unknown

ceosol

Nikki and I have been talking about doing a game together. Of course, it all depends on what the theme is. Unfortunately, I am traveling right now and won't be back until a few days after the jam starts. The ideas I have thrown out are:

1. A street brawler like Final Fight/Double Dragon
2. A skydiving game
3. Something like Fez with the rotating scene

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:31:09 pm by ceosol »

colburt187

Id love to see a final fight type game! was a favourite of mine growing up, don't think I've seen one made in Stencyl?

ceosol

I got back late last night and haven't been able to get in touch with Nikki. Since I wouldn't be able to do all of the artwork for a Final Fight game within the timeframe, I just decided to shift gears. I remembered a concept I had last year for a game based on the Daredevil superhero. It would be pretty spooky being a blind superhero where you can only see "images" of assailants if they make sounds. I'll see how that pans out.

Right now I am just testing the waters. I'm going to make it somewhat of a 3D game. I am writing the navigation code and then going to throw in shadowy actors. It is late to be streaming twitch, but I will try to live stream for the rest of the week.

Attached is a shadow puppet I am playing with.

ceosol

I got a solid few hours of work done. I'm happy with how things are going. I made the navigations system and have started on enemy location detection and scaling.

Right and left will change your view. You have a 60 degree field of vision. Up and down move you, although down is set at 1/3 speed since you are walking backwards. The little mini-map in the upper left shows a relative position (if you can hear the enemy). When you are within range of the enemy, they will be within your little arc on the minimap. Then, you can start attacking. If they are not within the arc, you will be swinging at the air. I do not think that I will have time to make a elaborate level (or multiple levels). However, I do want to give some constraints on movement so you don't go running off a million miles away from enemies - never to return.

I do not have a specific z-axis right now for 3D. The y-position of the enemies are adjusted depending on their distance from you. This does give at least the illusion of 3D.

ceosol

So I got approached by another person to make a game for the jam and now can't pin the person down to make the graphics. Why do people keep coming to me about making games and then vanishing :P

Anyway, the artist liked the idea of the skydiving game. The objective would be seeing how hard you can splat on the ground (I guess?). I have a basic framework done. Have fun :)

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/33785

Arrow keys to move, Esc to reset