RPG Platformer Kit

tabletop

If I started to make a game using this kit now, and you release an update will I have to start from scratch again or is it easy to update the kit and keep all the game making progress?

Edit: Well I downloaded it and gave it a play, I couldn't get past the New or Load screen, and my character wouldn't swing its sword for some reason... And then the character couldn't jump high enough to get back up lol... But it was very nice none the less. :)

The only thing Id worry about is the transition to 3.0, but as far as I know there is little code mode behaviors, unless there is more that will screw up with the transition.

I tried modifying the random stun animation behavior to turn it into a random Jump animation behavior to no success. Any way this would be possible?

Also, I made a sick dash attack that functions well, only problem is if you let go of the button it stops early, and you can spam the button for a glitchy execution. How do I fix this? Slowdown doesnt help. Inotherwords, how do i essentially lock the key from being hit again until like a second or two, and make the dash execute full time before being allowed to stop.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:42:01 am by tabletop »

Luyren

Yes for the random jump. You'd just set the jump animation attributes instead of the stun animations. You cannot change the animation while you're jumping though.

For the dash thing, try a boolean along with the key press? Set it to true when the attack begins, and set it to false when the attack ends.
My Stencyl resources are available here: https://luyren.itch.io/
Cutscenes, RPG Elements, Particles, Map System and many more.

tabletop

Alright. Now that thats out of the way. Ive been editing a skill template charge to try and make a chargeable projectile Megaman style.

A button that can be released early for a lighter damage attack, or held down for the highest damage bullet. The most I was able to get working was a button that has to be held down to work, and then it "cancels skill" if the button isnt held down. But this does not allow a damager and a lighter attack to be released early, and it feels a little off even for what it does.

Any ideas? Im trying to make it work for a Melee sword charge, and a gun charge.

Luyren

One behavior to handle the charge level (with maximum charge level, charge speed etc).

Then, another behavior (the skill behavior) to handle the charge attack when the button is released. You can then use a list to compare the current charge level, and create a different damager with different attributes based on that.

tabletop

Something went horribly horribly wrong with this. I decided to put it all into one behavior for ease of use. This charge attack was much more difficult than I thought. I was just testing, so I gave all 6 "releases" the same damager and animation. At this point I would settle for one animation for all releases, just different damage from the damagers lol.

The end result is the whole thing just craps out. Yet it did sorta work when instead of creating damagers and switching animation I had color hue swap for each sword charge level be applied to the character to test if the game recognizes the different releases.

tabletop

While working on my game, I noticed Air Jump lacks the option for an animation input. Nothing too major but I would like to have a double jump with a different animation than the regular jump for one of my more nimble characters so it doesn't look "stiff".

Luyren

Noted. Thanks for the suggestion!

tabletop

Will the current version of the KIT be compatible with 3.0?

Mineat

Dear Luyren,

I think I perfected a tile-oriented jump behavior based on the 8-Way Movement(referenced from inside the code) one and uploaded it to StencylForge. It allows nearly all 8-way functions and animations in a jump command, and requires disabling it(and Stencyl's gravity properties). Shadows/cliff detection/etc. can be added optionally. It hasn't been tested yet, so if it works can you add it to your resource pack? Thank you.

Luyren

Dear Luyren,

I think I perfected a tile-oriented jump behavior based on the 8-Way Movement(referenced from inside the code) one and uploaded it to StencylForge. It allows nearly all 8-way functions and animations in a jump command, and requires disabling it(and Stencyl's gravity properties). Shadows/cliff detection/etc. can be added optionally. It hasn't been tested yet, so if it works can you add it to your resource pack? Thank you.

This kit is stricly platforming. I'll only work in a top down version in a later date. But I'll take a look at it later.

And I still have to convert all AS3 code into Haxe before it works in 3.0.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:16:16 pm by Luyren »

Valeriana

As anew member i just use it and i find it very nice thank you very much! 8)

Mineat

Dear Luyren,

This kit is stricly platforming. I'll only work in a top down version in a later date. But I'll take a look at it later.

And I still have to convert all AS3 code into Haxe before it works in 3.0.

I fixed all bugs using the knowledge I know right now, and fixed/expanded all functions to use their exact commands. You can download it again if you want to....

atlyx

Is there any way to speed up the attack?

Luyren

Change the delay and wait time attributes for the attack behaviors.