Distributing Stencyl Games [SOLVED]

Shayaan

Hey there  8)
So the game I've been working on nowadays looks pretty cool to me, and I'm thinking about selling it. I've got the free version of Stencyl.

What can I do to make some bucks out of my game?
Which platform should I choose? (Flash/HTML??)

I know this won't be that easy, but I think I want to do this. Any tips?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:58:10 am by Shayaan »

JeffreyDriver

If you've only got the free version, then your options are limited. As for exporting, Stencyl's HTML5 exporter is still in beta mode, so make not work properly.

You could upload your game to a portal such as Kongregate, or Newsgrounds looking to earn money from a profit share of  adverts, but it's difficult to make any money that way.

decafpanda

Well if the game is good you could contact Armor Games to see if they would sponsor it.  If you think you might have a shot at a sponsorship,  definitely inquire about it before you release on Kong or Newgrounds.

They will not sponsor any game that has been already released on the Web

If they are not interested in a sponsorship go ahead and release on Newgrounds.  If it does well you could contact them again to see if they would be interested in a site lock deal.

This would be for a flash game

Depending on what kind of game you have, Kong might be a better place to release if the sponsorship falls through.

What type of game is it?

Shayaan

It's a top-down shooter (kinda). The game is short (about 15min) and story driven.

gecenab

Well if the game is good you could contact Armor Games to see if they would sponsor it.  If you think you might have a shot at a sponsorship,  definitely inquire about it before you release on Kong or Newgrounds.

They will not sponsor any game that has been already released on the Web

If they are not interested in a sponsorship go ahead and release on Newgrounds.  If it does well you could contact them again to see if they would be interested in a site lock deal.

This would be for a flash game

Depending on what kind of game you have, Kong might be a better place to release if the sponsorship falls through.

What type of game is it?

Is Kong or Newgrounds really worth it? I'm interested on the same topic, but I was originally considering Android platform, so I'm still deciding on buying the full version of Stencyl or trying first with the free version to make some money for the license.

Any ideas or tips??

vikingpotato

Flash games portals are not a reliable revenue source. If you are lucky you might land some kind of deal, but the chances of sitelock version for released games, etc are really low. FGL has stopped supporting sales of flash games. Most web portals are heading to a gradual decay.  The ad revenue on web portals is very likely to be so low you can't even cash it.
At the same time releasing on android without a publisher or an advertisement budget can drastically affect the chances of the game getting any kind of exposure. So yeah, make a plan.

squeeb

At the same time releasing on android without a publisher or an advertisement budget can drastically affect the chances of the game getting any kind of exposure. So yeah, make a plan.
I've never thought of using a publisher. Benefits.. costs.. any details on the process?

Bombini

Hi,
some notes on publishers because i have been approached by some reg Space Pirate and i also did work with some for a couple of years:
  • It really comes down to the quality of your game and in which state it is
  • Even more important are you as a developer: Did you release stuff before? Did you show that you can do it? Do you plan a long-term relationship? How dedicated are you? Is this your focus?
  • Will you need budget from the publisher or maybe "only" the services (localization, customer care, testing)
  • Is there a media/marketing budget you agree on? How does the publishing plan look like?
  • Most developers forget that there is still a lot of work to be done when your game is finished

It can be very fruitful to find the right publisher. In the end you share the same goal and the publisher can offer a lot experience and resources you dont have.

Finally, its a bout negotiating a deal both sides feel comfortable with.
Cheers!

squeeb

Awesome! Thank you for the insights.  I'll read that overview.  And brainstorm little.  I may try it with my next game.. we shall see