Font resolution question

designpeg

Hi, it seems that when you import a font, it generates a 1x size version that's scaled on higher resolution devices. Does anyone know if it's possible to import a font at 4x size,  then shrink the font when using the draw text block?

JeffreyDriver

I thought that Stencyl created a bitmap font from a true type font at whatever scale is required. Are you running into issues? I find that fonts are always crisp no matter the scale.

designpeg

That's what I thought as well, but when I look in the game's folder there's only one png for the font, I'd expect there to be 5 different resolutions, like the other resources. I finding that my text is looking very fuzzy on some devices, ( as it's scaling up the bitmap font)

JeffreyDriver

Is the fuzziness maybe due to scaling modes? So a font is being drawn at the correct scale, but is then being stretched or shrunk to fit the screen?

designpeg

I'm assuming it's because the font bitmap is enlarged, as the bitmap of all the glyphs is at 1x and it has to be enlarged when displayed on a device running at 4x to maintain the same font size on screen. It's not that noticeable, until you want to use a small ish font, (In this case 16px high) which means that some of the strokes are 1 or two pixels wide - which with aliasing, don't enlarge too well. I can attach a larger font to an actor as a label, then scale the actor, but this isn't a great work around.