Can't open Stencyl 3.4 - macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 - Java 8 & 9

raregalaxy

Howdy,

I'm currently trying to test out Stencyl but I can't get it to open on my system. I'm running the latest version of macOS High Sierra and I'm using the latest version of Java 9. I also tried out Java 8 and I still keep getting the error that says Stencyl could not be opened and needs Java 8 or higher. Clicking okay takes me to java.com.

I was able to get the program to launch by opening the the sw.jar file inside the Stencyl folder but it tells me I do not have write permissions for my current workspace, then an unexpected problem window shows up and gives me the option to produce a log file. I couldn't generate the log file because it gave me a permissions error, however I took a screenshot from the details button. Hopefully someone can let me know what's going on from this as I'm puzzled considering I've tried using multiple versions of Java that should all be supported as far as I know.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:39:02 pm by raregalaxy »

ggbboo

Hi,
Just starting to use HighSierra with Stencyl 3.4 build 9200. Running Java 8, Update 171
First time in my life after 4.5 yrs with Stencyl: upon opening the first time there's a message about not having permission of the Workspace ( I have all read and write permission).  Same problem as raregalaxy. Please advise ASAP.

Howdy,
I'm currently trying to test out Stencyl but I can't get it to open on my system. I'm running the latest version of macOS High Sierra and I'm using the latest version of Java 9. I also tried out Java 8 and I still keep getting the error that says
Stencyl could not be opened and needs Java 8 or higher. Clicking okay takes me to java.com.

I was able to get the program to launch by opening the the sw.jar file inside the Stencyl folder but it tells me I do not have write permissions for my current workspace, then an unexpected problem window shows up and gives me the option to produce a log file. I couldn't generate the log file because it gave me a permissions error, however I took a screenshot from the details button. Hopefully someone can let me know what's going on from this as I'm puzzled considering I've tried using multiple versions of Java that should all be supported as far as I know.

Justin

Exactly the same problem? Can you post the stack trace of the error you got, like raregalaxy did? Just from your description of the problem it doesn't sound like the same thing.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)