Can I install beta 3.5 and keep 3.4

designpeg

Is it possible to install the 3.5 beta and still keep a working version of 3.4 - ideally with seperate workspace folders?

I'd like too start working with 3.5, but I don't want to break my existing set up - my app wont work in 3.5 without quite a lot of work, and I want to be able to keep updating my app store when required.

Or are there newer versions of things like haxe that are installed to do with xcode that will break 3.4?

rob1221

It's fine to have multiple versions installed in different locations, but the workspace will be shared.

Justin

You can have multiple workspace folders, actually. 100% independent installs of Stencyl.

Part one is to install Stencyl to two different folders. Easy.

Part two is an undocumented feature with no UI, but it's safe to rely on.

Go to where you installed the copy of Stencyl that you want a custom workspace for, and add this file in [Stencyl install]/prefs.

filename: LocalStencylWorks.prefs
content:
Code: [Select]
local.workdir.enabled=true
local.workdir=D:\sw-3_4_0

Set local.workdir to any folder. It will create the new workspace at [chosen folder]/stencylworks/.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

Justin

The only thing that Stencyl needs outside of its own install location and workspace is Neko, and only on Mac OS El Cap and above.

3.5 will detect that you have the wrong neko version installed and prompt you to upgrade.

If you've upgraded Neko for 3.5, 3.4 will not be able to detect an issue, and will fail to build games.

For the case of going from 3.5 to 3.4, the only step you need to take other than opening the other Stencyl.app is to run a Neko uninstall script.

designpeg

Thanks Justin that's good to know. Do you know whether i'd have the same neko issue if I installed Stencyl on the same mac but under a different user account, (work computer already has multiple account), or is neko shared across users?

Justin

It's installed to /usr/local/bin, so it's shared across users.