What are the pros and cons of these two new options in Stencyl 3.5?

LIBERADO

I see that Stencyl 3.5 includes these two new options, and I see their brief descriptions as well, but I would also like to know the advantages and disadvantages of enabling or disabling each of these options.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:56:01 am by LIBERADO »
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

Justin

The first one is explained here. It can be turned on to allow you to switch between 1x, 2x, 3x, etc asset scales depending on how large the game window is.

I guess a general guide to picking one or the other would be like this:
- If you only include 1x assets in your game, or if your game window cannot be resized (no fullscreen, no use of the resize blocks), this setting shouldn't matter. However, according to some reports, graphics can be a bit blurry at lower scales with this off. "On" may be better so you use the most appropriate asset scale for the screen size.
- If you use the Image API, and you want to be able to design everything at 1x and not have to worry about it, this should normally be kept off.
- Finally, if you need your Image API images to be drawn precisely according to the current scale, turn this on and handle the logic on your end to redraw the images when needed (fullscreen event, for example).

I think it's normally best to just use 1x scale for desktop targets, and optionally allow multiple scales only on mobile, where you don't know what device the user has. If you're only ever showing the max possible asset scale, this setting won't even matter.

-------------------------------------

The second option reduces how much memory your game uses by freeing up graphics that have already been uploaded to the GPU. Without this, graphics are generally present 1) as .png files on disk, 2) as data in system memory, and 3) as data in video memory. Enabling this removes the image from (2) once the data has been moved to (3).

Cons:
- Not tested a whole lot, and not tested at all with the latest version.
- You can't access the image data, meaning
- - draw actor image doesn't work
- - get image for actor doesn't work
- - anything else that relies of accessing an actors image data won't work, such as certain transitions

If you want to enable this in general, while still being able to access the image data for certain actors, you can, by changing a setting in the actor type's properties tab.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

LIBERADO

Oh, all that information is very important.

Thank you very much, Justin.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.