"Tile-Size mis-match" warning in Scene Designer

Hectate

In providing support, we regularly notice that it seems easy to overlook the fact that tile sizes need to match the scene settings for them to work properly. The problem is made worse by the fact that the Scene Designer will draw the tiles in a way that makes them appear correct regardless.

I propose a warning system to help draw attention to this fact. We certainly don't want to lose the ability to use multiple tilesets in a single game just because they're different sizes (different scenes have different needs). However, a few additions to StencylWorks might not be amiss.

1. Within Game Settings (and when creating a new game and setting resolution), permit users to assign a "Default Tile Size" that is used when creating new scenes. This is nothing more than a default value that is configurable at a game-setting level to replace the default 32x32.

2. If the user, working within Scene Designer, selects a tileset that does not match the current tile size of the scene settings, pop up a warning dialog box that indicates that the two do not match. Include a check-box to disable future warnings.

3. Add a small icon to the application chrome somewhere (bottom toolbar?) that displays if any tilesets are in use that do not match the scene's settings.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

marcwilhelm

Agreed, this drives me nuts.  Great suggestion.  I think the finicky tile system in Stencyl is it's weakpoint.

Alexin

I know the bare minimum about tiles and tilesets but, unless I'm missing something, why can't we simply hide tilesets that don't match the scene's tile size?

I mean, if a scene has a tile size of 32x32, why you would want to use tiles that are 48x48?
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Hectate

I'd considered suggesting that they be hidden as you say, but I see an issue with that. Mainly that it will result in "Where is my tileset?" questions. Ideally we don't want to hide them from the user, just prevent them from being used. Also, you have to consider that a scene's tile size can be changed (if I'm not mistaken).

An alternative to #2 that also resolves the need for #3 would be just to pop up a warning dialog if a improper tileset is attempted to be selected, but never actually allow the tileset to be selected. Obviously something has to be done if there is only one tileset and it doesn't match the scene.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.