Killing the Magic by Making Games

PW132

It sounds like a cousin to the Tetris Effect, where playing a game affects how you see other things outside of the game. (Playing Tetris=Seeing Tetris Blocks, Playing SimCity=Looking at the layout of your hometown, etc.)

DimuDesigns

... and I now have far more indie games installed on my pc than big budget titles.

Same here. I love the spirit of the indie community and the range of ideas explored. Its hard to find that in the mainstream.

OpenHeartSound

I've had this discussion re: music with alot of folks.  And just because knowing music theory makes all pop songs start to sound the same to you, it doesn't necessarily kill the experience.  You just start searching out music that's more complex, and you get more enjoyment out of higher quality stuff by letting your analytical mind run free.  If you'd rather be entertained by the Biebers and Gagas, that's your right... but you won't convince me that I'm missing out on the experience of enjoying their music because I know too much about how it's made.  I'd rather just listen to ACTUAL good music. 

Same concept applies to games.  There are enough genuinely good games out there, that if your experience playing a cookie-cutter un-groundbreaking one is killed due to your knowledge of level design theory... then that's a GOOD thing for you.

So I have very little else to add except to say that Straseo is right and you all need to go out and start reading Bakuman.  Fantastic manga, and a good exploration of this very concept -- what life is like on the side of the creator.  That is all.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:15:09 am by OpenHeartSound »
Need audio for your next project?  Go to http://OpenHeartSound.com