Drop Block [The Game]

damijin

I think I should announce my intentions to slowly (possibly very slowly) develop my Drop Block Kit http://www.stencyl.com/v10/game/play/2009 into a full fledged game.

Since February I've been working at Gameloft, a mobile game giant in Europe and North America. I get to do game design there, and it's rewarding, but the Stencyl community is pretty much the coolest thing on the planet, so I can't resist getting back into it!

I'll only be able to work on it a few hours each week, but the code side for a physics game like this will be light, so hopefully that means I can really build something out of it with really fun levels that people enjoy.

Woo!

Jon

I'm thrilled to hear that you're taking baby steps back into indie game development. :)

damijin

Very baby. Maybe if I get a new notebook to use on the train it will be bigger baby steps. We haven't relocated up to NYC, so I've been riding the train for like 2 and a half hours every day. This machine is way too much bulk to pull out and develop on in those cramped quarters though.

Jon

Though I don't take public transit, that's what I bought a Macbook Air precisely for - deving on the go in very cramped quarters (e.g. riding in the backseat of a car with 2 other people). It's not cheap (though there's an opportunity coming up when they refresh and discount the last gen), but I tried the windows netbook route, and that ultimately didn't work well for me because the keyboard and trackpad were a bear to use.

Joe

Welcome back, damijin! (Not that you officially left, per se.)  :)

Chris

Ah, that's great! When I first tried that kit on SF, I secretly wished that somebody would make a full-fledged game out of it. Can't wait for more details.

Alexin

It's not cheap (though there's an opportunity coming up when they refresh and discount the last gen), but I tried the windows netbook route, and that ultimately didn't work well for me because the keyboard and trackpad were a bear to use.
There's a cheaper alternative for Windows: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP900X3A-A03US

I'd love to own this laptop.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Jon

It's not cheap (though there's an opportunity coming up when they refresh and discount the last gen), but I tried the windows netbook route, and that ultimately didn't work well for me because the keyboard and trackpad were a bear to use.
There's a cheaper alternative for Windows: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP900X3A-A03US

I'd love to own this laptop.

$1649 is about double what I can pay today to get the base model of the MacBook Air (It can be found for about $860 if you look around).

Alexin

Wow! I didn't know. I really was expecting it to be around $2800.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Jon

That was in 2008, before Apple went really aggressive with SSD's and secured some attractive prices for them.