Simplify Saving?

Jon

Right now, saving a game takes in a String parameter where you specify an internal name for the "save file." The rationale behind this is that this would make it easy to have multiple save files. The reality is that no completed games of ours actually use this, and a lot of games out there also don't.

It seems like this extra option is confusing to some and unnecessary in the vast majority of cases where only one save file is needed.

We could keep the option at the code/API level but simplify the block down to simply a "save" and "load" that takes no parameters.

Greg

My 2 cents is to go for it.  If the majority of users are only making one save file, this makes the most sense to cut down on confusion.  As long as code to support multiple save files sticks around, someone can create an article that would show users how to do it.

Epic428

I agree, I'm actually confused on how the current save method works. I am familiar with, and have used, Shared Objects, however, the way the blocks work is something I haven't been able to wrap my head around.

I think what is most confusing, is the fact that saving has two fields to be entered, one is the title text, whereas the other is (i think) the name of the file, however, the Load block only has one field to enter. This makes me question how someone would create multiple save slots, as well, why someone would enter data into two fields on one, but not on the other, and if it is worthwhile to do so.

I think for the large majority of our users, having a simple SAVE and LOAD block would be ideal. However, if there was more detail and information on the current method, that would be great as well, since I didn't find the block docs helpful enough, at least for me.
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Rob

I am also wondering how saving/loading works.

In my recent work on stencyl behavior showcase, I have to leave that whole section blank since I did not get it to work.

By saving/loading, are we talking about saving to a particular scene or checkpointing to a particular area of scene with all current value of game attributes saved such that when we load, we jump to that scene with all current game attributes reset back to the state when we saved it?
GOLDEN RULE #1 : SAVE YOUR GAMES FREQUENTLY
IOS/XCODE DEBUGGING
http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/xcode-ios-troubleshoot/
WATCH STENCYLWORKS VIDEO TUTORIAL BY SUNRISEKINGDOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfRfjzr9j4&feature=channel_video_title

irock

The reason I don't have multiple save files is because I haven't figured out how to have multiple save files and have a loading screen where you can select those files. This is something I'd take advantage of if I knew how. I didn't bother trying to figure it out for The Binding Force because of time constraints.

Rhys

I don't get the difference between the two values in "save game as (...) with (...) as title". I think one value would be enough (instead of completely stripping all values).

Jon-iPad

The extra value would be shown on the website, when we actually planned to save saves server side. It makes no sense today because we only support local cookie saves.

Jon

Alright, I'm making the change now.

The new duo (and there's no deprecation here, it'll just truncate the existing values off) will be:

save game and then...
load save file and then...

saving/loading was successful remains the same as it is.

Internally, the save of name "mySave" will be used, but this won't ever be relevant or necessary to know. It'll "just work."

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:48:28 pm by Jon »

irock

Is it still possible to have multiple save files? Because as I said in my post, I'm interested in having that.

Jon-iPad

Yes, the code still allows that, and you don't even need to know coding to use it. Just use the block like you normally would, peek at the code preview, copy the relevant line and change the default value to what you want.

Rob

Will this impact the featured saving pack on Forge?
GOLDEN RULE #1 : SAVE YOUR GAMES FREQUENTLY
IOS/XCODE DEBUGGING
http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/xcode-ios-troubleshoot/
WATCH STENCYLWORKS VIDEO TUTORIAL BY SUNRISEKINGDOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfRfjzr9j4&feature=channel_video_title

Jon-iPad

Shouldn't, but why don't you check now that you bring it up? That said, I think that with this simplification, the pack is kinda pointless now and I would vote in favor of taking it down.