What Music Do You Like?

almyki

A lot of us are into music (most people are =P ), so what kinds of music do you like?  Any particular genres, artists, or tracks?

I like New Age and classical type stuff, especially when I'm in the mood for something peaceful or undistracting.  I find music from people like George Winston, David Lanz, Ludovico Einaudi, and Laura Sullivan to be truly breathtaking, and I can't help but label it somehow spiritual.  I'm a sucker for pianos.  Instrumentals in general, I like a lot that have a feeling of whimsy or elegance.  Lots of Miyazaki movies, and a fave game of mine Legend of Dragoon have great music!

Typically though, I default to country music!  Darius Rucker, Taylor Swift, Jo Dee Messina, Reba McEntire, Jason Aldean, etc, etc., my radio is always set to country =P .  I don't understand why it's not more popular!  I like how country music often tries to tell a story, and the things they sing about feel more 'real' to me than most other music.

Pop of all kinds, K-Pop, J-Pop, American Pop, and anime and/or game music, I love all that.  It's so energetic and perky, it's the perfect music to dance to, and I love to dance (horribly, but that's okay) !  It's just so good for a cheerful mood.

I dabble in musical interest into various other genres, rock, trippy-psychedelic-Frou-Frou-Owl-City-etc., Frank Sinatra is good stuff, etc., but my brother tells me that it's really unpredictable when I'll like a song or not. 

<3 ali

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:55:21 pm by almyki »
dA |

Skills:  Drawn art, writing/story concepts, drawn backgrounds.
Preferred Games:  Visual Novels, RPGs, Simulations, Sandboxes, Dress-Ups
Current Projects:  Pokepet Eevee!

irock

My favorite genres are rock-based. But I also listen to other stuff.

My favorite band is a progressive metal band that goes by the name of Dream Theater. I probably listen to them more than I listen to anyone else. I also like Pink Floyd, Rush, Led Zeppelin, The Raconteurs, The White Stripes, Queens of the Stone Age, Elton John, Queen and a bunch of other stuff.

Some things outside that general genre area that I listen to are Iron and Wine, MGMT, Scissor Sisters, Bus Driver, ABBA and Herbie Hancock.

I'm really fond of Jazz, but the only artist I really know of is Herbie Hancock. I think someone gave me a list of others I should check out, so I'll have to do that some time soon.

Of course, I also listen to video game music!

Luyren

Most classical music (specially violin repertoir), video game soundtrack, movie soundtrack, jazz, j-pop, rock, metal, Michael Jackson.

Most classical musicians only listen to classical music. They are missing the good stuff.

@almiky: Joe Hisaishi is the composer for all Miyazaki's movies. His music is awesome!
My Stencyl resources are available here: https://luyren.itch.io/
Cutscenes, RPG Elements, Particles, Map System and many more.
Twitter

Strasteo

I mostly listen to alternative or post rock music, with bits of shoegaze, indie-pop/rock, electronica... though half of my iTunes library is made of anime and game soundtracks, haha.

A few of my favorite bands include The Strokes, Mute Math, Autolux, Tally Hall, and the pillows.
One composer/musician I can definitively say I like a lot is Yuji Ohno who is famous for Lupin III music which I highly recommend if you like jazz.

I listen to a lot more than this but I tried to narrow it down to what I like currently/mainly. There's Queen and the Beatles... Sweeney Todd film score... Earthbound... a large mix of things.

Blob

I typically favor the electric and alternative genres, but I often find songs that aren't at all related to those two that I really like. I don't usually listen to the bulk of songs most artists have (with the exception of a few), I usually only like 1 or 2 songs per artist, after that they start sounding similar to one another. A lot of the songs I like are video game tracks, as well.

If you want to see my Grooveshark favorites, there they are.

~ Blob

Ceric

I listen to different types of music, though it falls into some similar genres.

I was in high school in the '90s, so I listened to a lot of the grunge, rock, and alternative bands back in the day, like Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, etc., as well as new wave-ish stuff back then, like Duran Duran, The Cure, Depeche Mode, some Morrissey. In college, it was more alternative music, rock, "college rock," Brit pop, and various female artists. Examples would be Counting Crows, Dave Matthews Band, Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Texas, Third Eye Blind, Radiohead, and Tool.

These days my taste in music is somewhat broader. Groups/artists I'm listening to right now or lately include Bon Iver (waiting on his/their new album), Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, Death Cab for Cutie (their new album) and Devotchka. Other groups/artists I like in general include Delta Spirit, Justin Townes Earle, Old Crow Medicine Show, Iron and Wine, Gregory Alan Isakov, Over the Rhine, TV on the Radio, Band of Horses, Explosions in the Sky, The National, MGMT, Voxtrot, One Republic, David Gray, Amos Lee, Ray LaMontagne, Cat Stevens, Creedence Clearwater, Paul Simon, The Beatles, Sting, I could go on.

When it comes to instrumental music, I like Aaron Copeland, Gustav Holst, Ludovico Einaudi, Yo-Yo Ma, Vivaldi, and choral music, among others.

The genres I'm not a fan of are rap, hip-hop, R&B, most pop music, and a lot of mainstream country.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:05:21 pm by Ceric »

Duckaiser

First and foremost for me is video game music. Mega Man music in particular! So many great tunes that are just fun to listen to. I'm actually not sure which Mega man soundtrack is my favorite, it's so hard to pick! But my favorite individual Mega Man song would probably be "Legendary WWW Area" from Network Transmission. Really love that song...

I also rather like Sonic (favorite being Sonic Adventure 2) and Final Fantasy (favorites being 8 and 9!) music. Castlevania is loaded with great songs too. A lot of Metroid's music is atmospheric, yet I still love listening to it on it's own. To this day I still think the opening theme for the first Wild ARMs is one the best video game music themes ever...

I had a vendetta against non-video game music for a while (except movies, I've always loved Jurassic Park's music! And the main theme of Pirates of the Caribbean is awesome, even though I've never actually really watched any of the movies.) But somehow, Hannah Montana brought me back into it.

I happen to really like "tween girlie pop" music! Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, and Demi Levato! I also like a lot of Katy Perry's and Lady Gaga's songs. I realize that I highly prefer female vocals, and when any of them have songs with male solo parts, I search for a version without them (often radio edits)

I don't listen to much music besides that other than a few songs by various artists.

NobodyX

Buckethead!!!

Also:
Amon Tobin, Bumblefoot, Steve Vai, Primus, Les Claypool, Daisuke Ishiwatari, Nurse with Wound, (only the new) Guns 'n' Roses, Alamaailman Vasarat, Frank Zappa, Shawn Lane, Jaga Jazzist, Mr Scruff, Dream Theater, Racer X, DJ QBert, Flying Fox and the Hunter Gatherers, Sun Ra

Hectate

My tastes are too varied to list succinctly. Suffice it to say, if it's generally considered a musical genre I enjoy music from it (although rarely all). Everclear is one of my favorite bands, but I'm equally at home with Beethoven or Joplin as I am with Dr. Dre or ABBA.

I like music.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Tatertom

Whatever sounds good, to be honest. I'll listen to anything as long as I like the beat, but my main focus is classic rock, classical music, techno, and video game soundtracks.
Tatertom approves this message.

Mach60KAS

I enjoy listening to lot of different genres: Rock, Metal, Death Metal, Chiptune... There's quite a lot I listen to.

As far as artists are concerned? On the metal side I like to listen to Chimaira, 36 Crazyfists, Trivium, Job For a Cowboy to name a few. On video game music I like Magnus Palsson's VVVVVV soundtrack, the Super Meat Boy soundtrack, the S:S&S EP soundtrack among others. :)

manofdoom

Generally rock, electronic, industrial, and metal for me.
I have to return some videotapes.

triptych

Generally for me it's cheesy techno, but also folks like Tiesto, Hybrid, and Royksopp. I also dig bands like ABBA but dont hold it against me :)

I'm into prog rock, rock, metal (specifically New Wave of British Heavy Metal), punk, alternative, funk, jazz and grunge. Not a hugely varied taste :P

Pink Floyd, Pendragon, Argent, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Kaiser Chiefs, Curtis Mayfield, Nirvana, Soundgarden, AC/DC, Boston, Black Stone Cherry, The Clash, The Jam, Deep Purple, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Gorillaz, Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Machinae Supremacy, Metallica, Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, Weezer, Whitesnake, The Who, ZZ Top and a few others.

Yeeeeeeah.

#Sutch

DaPatman

I'll listen to enough different genres that I'm not gonna try and list them here. Instead, I'll list some of my favourite artists, and you can work out my tastes from that: Arctic Monkeys, Blur, Ian Brown (including his stuff with The Stone Roses), Coldplay, The Cribs, Daft Punk, dan le sac vs. Scroobius Pip, Dream Theater, Example, Faithless, Foo Fighters, Ellie Goulding, Jimi Hendrix, Kaiser Chiefs, Keane, The Killers, The Last Shadow Puppets, Manic Street Preachers, Maxïmo Park, Moby, Oasis, Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, The Pigeon Detectives, Queen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Seasick Steve, Stereophonics, The Streets, The Strokes, Supergrass, Travis, The Verve, Kanye West, and The Young Knives. (See what I mean?)