"Could not test app in iOS simulator."

sj24

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble testing the pre-made Joystick shooter app (or any for that matter) in StencylWorks.  I open the game, click on Test Game (Simulator), and get the following error "Could not test app in iOS simulator."

I have the latest iOS SDK (this is Xcode, right?) installed and working.  I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious, as I'm quite new to this stage of development.  As asked by the pop-up I've attached my logs.

Many thanks.

captaincomic

It's the xcode-select error.
xcode-select: Error: No Xcode folder is set. Run xcode-select -switch <xcode_folder_path> to set the path to the Xcode folder.

Try the Stencyl 2.0 beta, it should fix this (in most cases).

sj24

Cheers!  Are there any alternatives as the beta is a totally separate program isn't it?  Couldn't that overly complicate everything if I'm having to alternate between the two clients to work on my current games?

EDIT:  Or should I ignore my older version of Stencylworks and only use 2.0 from now on?

captaincomic

You have to install it separately (there's no option upgrade), but 1.x games can be used in 2.0, it should be fully backwards compatible.
I would suggest to backup your games, install 2.0, and if everything works fine in 2.0, just stick to it. ;)

sj24

Thanks a lot, Captain!

Hopefully it's all smooth sailing from here.   ;D

sj24

I installed it in a separate folder so it wouldn't interfere with my other copy of StencylWorks, but now all my files/games have been removed from both versions of StencylWorks, and when I edit a file on one, it changes on the other version too (make new game in beta 2.0, and it's there in the previous version too).  I also can't find any iOS features on either of the Stencylworks programs now.  What am I doing wrong?

Maybe I should delete both versions and start a fresh?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:32:15 am by sj24 »

captaincomic

I'm not sure what went wrong, but it probably has to do with your workspace settings.
Go to Preferences->Workspace and check your Workspace Folder.

About the iOS features: you have to install a patch to enable them. You can find it here:
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,6869.0.html
Want to enable iOS exporting in 2.0?

Copy the ios/ folder inside this ZIP file to [STENCYL_INSTALL_FOLDER]/plaf/

The Patch

sj24

I grabbed that file and put it in the right location when I first downloaded the beta.  Surely this is a common issue as I have a brand new stock macbook (which I bought just so I could publish games using Stencyl), and I didn't do anything weird when installing either Stencyl, or Xcode.  So why did this happen?

There must be an easier way?  Maybe a developer could shed some insight?